Overloaded power strip causes Salisbury mobile home fire

Published 12:00 am Friday, September 14, 2012

By Shavonne Potts
spotts@salisburypost.com
SALISBURY – Fire officials say an overloaded power strip led to a blaze that damaged a mobile home Friday.
The fire occurred shortly before noon at Salisbury Mobile Home Park, 1017 Bringle Ferry Road.
Through an interpreter, renter German Hernandez said he was not at the home at the time of the fire. He called owner Belen DeLaSancha, who arrived at the scene while firefighters put out hot spots.
“He had just left 10 minutes ago,” DeLaSancha said of Hernandez.
Firefighters were dispatched to the scene at 11:57 a.m. and were able to contain the fire to a front bedroom, said Salisbury Fire Battalion Chief David Morris.
Morris said when fire crews first arrived, flames were visible from a front bedroom.
“They made a quick attack,” he said.
Personnel from Salisbury Fire, Granite Quarry Fire, Rowan Rescue Squad, Salisbury Police, the Rowan County Fire Marshal’s Office and Rowan EMS were sent to the scene. Rowan EMS was called in as a precaution, Morris said, but were not needed. There were no injuries.
Morris noted that in many situations, mobile home fires end with more damage. He said the renter would be able to salvage some items.
Firefighters went through the home checking for hot spots and things that weren’t heavily damaged.
DeLaSancha said she’s owned the home since 2009 and was in the process of switching it over into her sister Berenice DeLaSancha’s name.
She said her father owns two other mobile homes on the property.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.

Comments

Comments closed.