Six cars involved in I-85 wrecks
Published 12:00 am Friday, August 10, 2012
By Nathan Hardin
CHINA GROVE — With traffic backed up from a fatal wreck on Interstate 85 in Cabarrus County Concord, at least six vehicles were involved in a set of collisions in Rowan County on Friday.
Four cars slammed into each other on the two-lane southbound side of the highway about 3:45 p.m. Beside them, authorities said, two other vehicles collided as part of a separate crash.
N.C. State Highway Patrol Trooper C.T. Walker said two people were taken to area hospitals with minor injuries.
The traffic backup that led to the crash, Walker said, may have been cause by slowed onlookers further south.
According to reports, one person was killed in a wreck in the northbound lanes of I-85 about 1:50 p.m. Friday near Dale Earnhardt Boulevard.
Traffic was reportedly gridlocked for 10 miles and traffic was diverted onto U.S. 29 at exit 58.
Except for temporary stops, emergency crews kept both lanes open while clearing the Rowan County wreck.
Walker said authorities were searching for a missing vehicle that slammed into the back of a light blue Ford Crown Victoria.
“What I’ve determined so far, I have one wreck that’s involving four vehicles,” Walker said. “Then there was another vehicle that struck the blue car.”
Walker said witnesses told him the hit-and-run suspect may have been driving a white Lincoln Navigator.
The vehicle is believed to have significant damage to the front end.
Troopers are asking anyone with information about the wreck or the suspect to call 704-639-7574.