Bond upped to $1 million for accused soccer coach
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, July 25, 2012
SALISBURY — A judge increased the bond to $1 million for Ralph Wager this morning during a bond reduction hearing in Rowan County court. The former Catawba College soccer coach is accused of molesting a child in the late 1980s.
Wager, who coached a youth soccer organization in Charlotte until his arrest last week, was originally given a $500,000 bond.
Wager, 69, was arrested at his Charlotte home on July 17 and charged with three counts of felony sex offense, three counts of felony indecent liberties and three counts of felony crimes against nature.
A Rowan County Sheriff’s Office arrest report said Wager had inappropriate sexual contact with a child under the age of 10 while he worked at Catawba.
Capt. John Sifford said the alleged victim came forward to authorities after he found online that Wager was still working with kids.
Wager has been suspended indefinitely by the North Carolina Youth Soccer Association.
Catawba College is conducting its own investigation into the allegations, according to President Brien Lewis.