R.A. Clement Scholarships awarded to 2012 graduates
Published 12:00 am Thursday, July 19, 2012
The R.A. Clement Association has awarded scholarships to graduates from area high schools. The scholarships are in the amount of $500 each for students attending four schools.
• Troy Culbertson, son of Waltrae Culbertson, graduated from West Rowan High School. Troy plans to attend N.C. State University and major in computer engineering.
• Micah Funderburk, son of Andrea and James Willoughby and Michael Funderburk, graduated from Thomasville High School. He plans to attend Greensboro College to major in computer sciences.
• Lauren Knox, daughter of Gerry and LaWanda Knox, of Hickory, graduated from N.C. School of Science and Mathematics. Lauren plans to attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to pursue a career in medicine.
• Coravn Nesmith, daughter of Andrea Stanback, graduated from Salisbury High School. She will attend Winston-Salem State University to major in nursing.
• Quinton Phifer, son of Juanita Sifford, is a 2012 graduate of West Rowan High School. Quinton will attend Wingate University working toward becoming a physical therapist.
• Jasmin Tindal, daughter of Kimberly and Dennis Chunn, graduated from Carson High School. Jasmin will attend Winston-Salem State University to major in nursing. Her ultimate goal is to become a nurse anesthetist.
• Aturo Vergara, son of Aturo and Maria Vegaro, is a graduate of West Rowan High School. Aturo received the George Knox Scholarship, named in honor of the former high school principal. Aturo plans to attend the University of North Carolina at Charlotte to major in business administration. His ultimate goal is to become a certified public accountant.
• NyQuamia Wells, daughter of Lisa Wells, graduated from Salisbury High School. She plans to attend Hampton University to major in nursing.
All of these students were recognized at the R.A. Clement High School Reunion Banquet on July 6. The following 2011 R.A. Clement Scholarship recipients were also recognized: Annick Dalton, Elizabeth City State University; Brianna Hargrove, UNCC; Ethan Martin, Northeast Community College, Texas; Kierra Perry, N.C. A&T State University; Jerry Sherrill III, Catawba College; Amber Gilmore, Winston-Salem State University; Royale Nichols, Western Carolina University; Christian Vaughters, N.C. A&T State University; and William Watkins, Brevard College.