Alpha Alpha Zeta sorority chapter awards six scholarships
Published 12:00 am Thursday, July 12, 2012
Alpha Alpha Zeta Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority has awarded six one-time scholarships of $1,000 to five local and one Virginia Beach high school graduates.
Selection is based on academic achievement, character, school involvement, community activities, citizenship, financial need, current and past involvement with the sorority and an application packet which includes career goals.
Those receiving the award after completing one semester of college study include:
• Brittney Barber, a graduate of West Rowan High School and the daughter of Alicia Barber, plans to attend Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte.
• Cristen D. Kelly Blanding, a graduate of North Rowan High School and the daughter of Crystal Arnaé Kelly and Ronald Deshane Blanding, plans to attend Livingstone College, Salisbury.
• Haley Alan Duncan, a graduate of Salem High School, Virginia Beach, Va., and the daughter of Gary Duncan and Shay Duncan, plans to attend Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Va.
• Amber Nicole Holloway, a graduate of West Rowan High School and the daughter of Charles Norris Holloway Jr. and Mary Elizabeth Bowden, plans to attend the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.
• Briana J. Jackson, a graduate of Salisbury High School and the daughter of Albert Jackson and Wendy Jackson, plans to attend Johnson C. Smith University, Charlotte.
• Nyquamia D. Wells, a graduate of Salisbury High School and the daughter of Michael Joe Wells and Lisa Dannette Wells, plans to attend North Carolina A&T State University, Greensboro.