Five charged in ongoing drug investigation
Published 12:00 am Monday, May 21, 2012
KANNAPOLIS — Five suspects were arrested Friday following an ongoing drug investigation by members of the Kannapolis Police Vice and Narcotics Unit, the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office and Mooresville Police Department.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office ACE Team arrested three of the subjects at 6597 Wright Road, Kannapolis — Barry R. Hamby, Benji B. Hamby. According to a press release, the ACE Team also located narcotics at the residence, which will result in additional charges.
The Mooresville Police Department was able to locate John M. Clayton at his residence and took him into custody.
Linda E. Chavis was taken into custody by Kannapolis Police Department.
All suspects were arrested without incident and eventually turned over to members of the Kannapolis Police Department for processing procedures.
The operation was conducted with the assistance of confidential informants in an effort to address citizen complaints of street level sale of drugs.
Those arrested and their charges are:
• Barry Rann Hamby, 6597 Wright Road, Kannapolis, 47; three counts of possession of cocaine; maintaining a dwelling; four counts of possession of heroin; trafficking opiates by possession; two countys of conspiracy to traffic opiate; two counts of possession with the intent to sell and deliver schedule II controlled substance; possession with the intent to sell and deliver near a child care facility; four counts of possession of drug paraphernalia.
• Benji Bo Hamby, 6597 Wright Road, Kannapolis, 43; possession of drug paraphernalia, served a judicial process for failure to appear; misdemeanor possession of schedule III.
• Darron Hugh Hamby, 6597 Wright Road, Kannapolis, 51; two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia.
• John Michael Clayton, 2100 Statesville Highway, Mooresville, 62; conspiracy to traffic in opiates.
• Linda Elane Chavis, 512 Coach St., Kannapolis, 62; conspiracy to traffic in opiates.