Gingrich delays this week's NC campaign appearance
RALEIGH (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich won’t be coming to North Carolina after all this week.
A spokeswoman for the former House speaker’s campaign in North Carolina called Gingrich’s change of plans a postponement, not a cancellation. Karen Rotterman said the visit will be rescheduled. She didn’t have any information on reasons for the delay.
Gingrich had been scheduled to visit the Raleigh area on Wednesday — less than six weeks before the May 8 presidential preference primary.
Gingrich currently sits in third place in the number of committed delegates to the convention, behind front-runner Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum. Gingrich has said he will run for the nomination all the way to the Republican National Convention in Tampa.