Arts and entertainment briefs
Celebrate Jazz Appreciation month this Saturday from 7:30-10:30 p.m. with The Joe Robinson Jazz Band featuring Jazz vocalist Diana Tuffin, at the Looking Glass Artist Collective’s black box theater, 405 N. Lee St.
Arrive early for a prelude of songs by David Payne. Admission is $10 at the door, food and festive beverages will be available for purchase.
Sponsored by Rowan Blues and Jazz Society, proceeds go to expenses for the October Blues and Jazz festival. www.rowanbluesandjazz.org
Evening of Fairy Tales
Rowan Public Library and Livingstone College announce “An Evening of Fairy Tales.”
Students from the Theater Arts Department at Livingstone College, under the direction of Michael Connor, will bring favorite tales to life at Rowan Public Library.
The one-time-only free performance takes place on Tuesday, April 10 at 6:30 p.m. at RPL Headquarters, 201 W. Fisher St. Refreshments will be served.
For more information, call 704-216-8234.
Egg fest opportunities
• JC Price Easter egg hunt: Friday, April 6, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., at American Legion Post 107, 1433 Old Wilkesboro Road. Food and refreshements for children 15 and under, each of whom must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. 704-638-0160 or 704-640-6360.
• Gold HillEgg Hunt and Spring Fest: Historic Gold Hill presents the 2012 Easter Egg Hunt and Spring Fest on Saturday, April 7 at 10 a.m. on the porch of the Stamp Mill Café, 840 St. Stephen’s Church Road, and features a visit by the Easter Bunny. Other activities begin at 11 a.m. and include ring and bean bag toss, checker tournament, marshmallow roasting and pond yacht demos. E-mail goldhillmerchants firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cornerstone Church Family Festival: From noon-3 p.m. Saturday, April 7, Cornerstone Church presents a family festiveal with bounce houses, dunking booth, rock climbing wall, car smash, games and helicopter egg drop. Wristbands required for activites: $5 each or five non-perishable items for Rowan Helping Ministries. Visit www.cornerstone-church.net
• Lazy 5 Ranch third annual Easter Eggstravaganza: Lazy 5 Ranch Highway, Hwy. 150, hosts the Eggstravaganza from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturday, April 7, with an Easter egg helicopter drop, face painting, live rabbits, visits with the Easter bunny, door prizes, games, wagon rides.
Call 704-663-5100 or visit Lazy 5 on Facebook.
• Cooleemee Easter egg hunt: 10 a.m. sharp on Saturday at the Zachary House grounds on Church St., sponsored by the Town of Cooleemee and the Cooleemee Women’s Civitan Club, for eight years old and younger, and features a visit from a six-foot tall Easter Bunny.
•Easter egg hunt to benefit Rowan Helping Ministries: Monday, April 9 sponsored by Team Chevrolet of Salisbury: Two shifts: ages 6-11 at 2 p.m., ages 0-5 at 2:45 p.m. Bring two non-perishable cans of food or boxed starches for Rowan Helping Ministries’ food pantry. At the end of each hunt children return eggs for a bag of surprises. 404 Jake Alexander Blvd. S., 704-216-8000 x197.
Historic trolley tour
Experience authentic Salisbury-Rowan County by taking the Historic Salisbury narrated trolley tour and learn what makes Salisbury-Rowan County historically significant.
Tours are every Saturday, April through October (except the 2nd weekend in Oct.) at 11 a.m. Tours begin and end at the Salisbury-Rowan County Visitor’s Center, 204 E. Innes St. Prices are $8 for adults, children 4 to 10 $5, and under 4 are free.
Call 704-638-3100 or visit www.visitsalisburync.com
One day train treat
SPENCER — The NC Transportation Museum offers a treat for rail fans Saturday, April 7, with a double head of steam pulling the Caboose Train. As part of the finale for the Easter Bunny Express events, rides will be offered aboard the Caboose Train pulled by both the Lehigh Valley Coal #126 and the Flagg #75 Steam Engine.
Visitors will be able to ride along on this special Caboose Train as part of the museum’s Easter Bunny Express festivities. Steam engine Caboose Train rides are scheduled for 10, 10:45, 11:30 a.m., 1, 1:45, 2:30, and 3:15 p.m.
Tickets are $12 for ages 3 and up for either the caboose train or the diesel powered Easter Bunny Express. Visitors can also ride both trains for $18. Advance tickets are available at www.nctrans.org
Free film tonight
CONCORD — Modern Film Fest presents “The Day Carl Sandburg Died” tonight, a film about the life and times of the world-renowned poet, historian, storyteller and musician, at 65 Union Street S in Concord’s historic courthouse, 65 Union St. S, 704-920-2787, www.modernfilmfest.com
CHARLOTTE — Carolina Actors Studio Theatre (CAST) will hold an open call audition for the Charlotte premiere of “Zastrozzi, The Master Of Discipline,” by George F. Walker, directed by Tony Wright, Saturday, April 21, FROM 1-4 p.m. at CAST, 2424 No. Davidson St.
For information and to schedule an appointment, contact Tony Wright, at actorsgym@ yahoo.com or 704-649-8508.