Town Crier, week of April 2
Today, April 2
• Livingstone College Spring Concert series begins, 6 p.m.: Livingstone College Jazz Combo, John Robertson Trio, Rosemary Rainey. On college’s front lawn near Dr. Julia P. Marshall Friendship Plaza. Free. 701 W. Monroe St.
• Rowan County Board of Commissioners, 3 p.m., 130 W. Innes St.
• Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners, 3:30 p.m., Cabarrus County Governmental Center, 65 Church Street, SE, Concord.
• East Spencer Board of Aldermen, 6:30 p.m., Town Hall, 105 S. Long St., East Spencer.
• Cleveland Town Board of Commissioners, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 302 E. Main St.
• Landis Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 312 S. Main St., Landis.
• Harold B Jarrett American Legion, dinner at 7 p.m., meeting follows.
• Granite Quarry Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Municipal Building, 143 N. Salisbury Ave., Granite Quarry.
• Sign up for Scrabble Scramble 9, sponsored by Rowan County Literacy Council, 5:30 p.m., Tuesday, April 17, Holiday Inn. Buffet dinner, three rounds team Scrabble: $25 per person, $250 table
TUESDAY, April 3
• Livingstone College Spring Concert series continues, 6 p.m.: Opera scenes performed by students at Livingstone and Catawba colleges, plus Livingstone alum. Free. Varick Auditorium, Livingstone College, 701 W Monroe St.
• Rowan Parkinson’s Support Group, 1 p.m., First Presbyterian Church Education Building, Fisher St. 704-633-3181.
• Diabetes afternoon support group, 2 p.m., Education Resource Center, 4th floor Rowan Regional patient tower. Free. 704-10-5771.
• Salisbury City Council, 4 p.m., City Hall, 217 S. Main St. (Shown on Access16 Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays at 9 a.m., 3 p.m., 8 p.m.)
• Rowan County Veteran Council, 6:30 p.m., for location call Homer 704-636-5688 or Hercules 704-798-2032.
• China Grove Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 308 E. Centerview St., China Grove.
• Bariatric Support Group, 7-8 p.m., RRMC classroom A2A. Suzie Dinse, RN, 704-210-5474.
• Cannon Memorial Lodge No. 626 AF&AM Stated Communication 7 p.m., dinner at 6 p.m., Kannapolis Masonic Center, 704 S. Main St., Kannapolis, www.cml626.org
WEDNESDAY, April 4
• Livingstone College Spring Concert series continues, noon: Presentation on the life of William Grant Still, dean of African-American composers. Free. Walls Center Chapel, Livingstone College, 701 W Monroe St.
• Living in Pink, support and education for those with breast cancer, survivors of breast cancer, 6 p.m., large classroom, RRMC Tower A. Vicki Rhyne, 704-633-7555, 704-640-8088.
THURSDAY, April 5
• Livingstone College Spring Concert series culminates, 6 p.m.: Freddy Cole and Trio (Nat King Cole’s brother), also Livingstone College Concert Band and Livingstone College Concert Choir. $6 adults, $2 students. Livingstone College, 701 W Monroe St.
• AARP local chapter meeting, 1 p.m., speaker Susan Davis, president Rowan County Master Gardeners Association. Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, 1120 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave., visitors welcome, 704-216-7714.
• Middle school exhibition reception, 5-6:30 p.m., featuring artwork from Salisbury-Rowan County Middle Schools, 123 E. Liberty St., www.waterworks.org
• Andrew Jackson Masonic Lodge Stated Communications meeting, 7 p.m., dinner 6 p.m.
• Surviving Stroke support group, 6:15-7:45 p.m., Imaging & Physical Rehabilitation Center, Rowan Regional Medical Park on Julian Road, Exit 74 off I-85. Free. 704-210-6918.
• Eureka Lodge #45 meets, 7 p.m., 1433 Old Wilkesboro Road. 704-636-3267 or 7040-798-2032.
FRIDAY, April 6
• Easter Bunny Express, Easter Bunny rides alongside kids and parents handing out candy.Call for times and advance tickets, NC Transportation Museum, Spencer, 704-636-2889 ext.237, www.nctrans.org
• Easter egg hunt, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., JCPrice American Legion Post 107, 1433 Old Wildesboro Road, food and refreshments, children 15 and under. Must be accompanied by parent or guardian.
SATURDAY, April 7
• Violins of Hope, 7:30 p.m., Restorer Amnon Weinstein, violinist David Russell, in the only performance of one of the Violins of Hope outside of Charlotte. Free, seating is limited. Catawba College’s Omwake-Dearborn Chapel, www.salisburysymphony.org.
• Easter Egg Hunt and Springfest, Historic Gold Hill, www.HistoricGoldHill.com, 704-267-9439, Facebook
• Lazy 5 Easter egg helicopter drop, Easter Eggstravaganza (ages 1-11), 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Easter Egg drop times: 10:30 a.m.; 12:30, 2 and 3:30 p.m. Lazy 5 Ranch, Highway 150 Salisbury, 704-663-5100, www.facebook.com/ pages
• Colonial Spring Frolic, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Old Stone House, Granite Quarry. $4 adults, $2 students. 704-633-5946, www.rowanmuseum.org
• Easter Bunny Express, Easter egg hunt 12:30 p.m. for kids 10 and under; also Easter Bunny rides the train alongside kids and parents handing out candy. Call for times and advance tickets, NC Transportation Museum, Spencer, 704-636-2889 ext.237, www.nctrans.org
• Celebrate Jazz appreciation month, 7:30 p.m., prelude by David Payne. Joe Robinson Jazz Band, Jazz vocalist Diana Tuffin; $10 at the door. Sponsored by Rowan Blues and Jazz Society, www.rowanbluesandjazz.org
• Salisbury Historic trolley tour, 11 a.m. Saturdays through October, tours begin and end at Visitor’s Center, 204 E. Innes St. $8 adults, children 4 to 10 $5, under 4 free. 704-638-3100, www.visitsalisburync.com