Town crier, week of Feb. 20
Today, Feb. 20
• Presidents’ Day
• Federal government offices and banks closed
• Granite Quarry Auxiliary soup dinner, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Monday, Feb. 20, proceeds go toward full dress uniforms for Granite Quarry Fire Dept. officers. Sarah Troublefield, 980-234-0035, ffwife5748@yahoo. com
• Rowan County Board of Commissioners, 6 p.m., 130 W. Innes St.
• Rowan County Literacy Council Volunteer Appreciation Dinner and annual meeting, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Trinity Oaks Retirement Community, Klumac Road. 704-216-8266.
• Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners, 6:30 p.m., Cabarrus County Governmental Center, 65 Church Street, SE, Concord.
• RSVP deadline for Mardi Gras for the Museum fundraiser, 704-633-5946, rowanmuseum@ carolina.rr.com. Event date, Feb. 25.
TUESDAY, Feb. 21
• Salisbury City Council, 4 p.m., City Hall, 217 S. Main St.
• Rowan Tea Party Patriots, 6 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 21, Blue Bay Seafood Restaurant, Statesville Blvd. with Dan Forest, candidate for N. C. Lt. Governor.
• VFW Post 9131 meets 6:30 p.m., 1433 Old Wilksboro Road, Commander Hercules Shannon 704-798-2032.
• American Legion, Faith Post 327, 7 p.m. Commander Kevin Cauble, 704-279-1430.
• 8th Congressional District Republican candidate debate, 6 p.m. registration/social hour, 7 p.m. debate. Sponsor: Cabarrus Republican Women. Vintage Motor Club 325 McGill Ave., NW, Concord, open to the public. 704-621-6984.
WEDNESDAY, Feb. 22
• Powles Funeral Home Bingo Breakfast, 9 a.m., McDonalds in Rockwell. Contact Russ Roakes 704-279-7241
THURSDAY, Feb. 23
• Carolina Historical Association for Metal Detecting, 7:30 p.m., Grace Ridge Club House, 2815 Grace Church Road, 704-310-6321, 336-474-7268
• Free clothing distribution every Thursday, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Forest Hill United Methodist Church, basement of The Ministry Center, 251 N. Union St., Concord.
FRIDAY, Feb. 24
• Chamber of Commerce Friday Forum, 7:30–9 a.m., The Gateway Building, 204 E. Innes St., program and breakfast, reservations required 704-633-4221, cdeesemaness@ rowanchamber.com
• Free tax aide from Davie County Senior Services, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Friday-Saturday through March 2, first come, first served, 336-753-6230, 278 Meroney St.
• Honk! Jr., Norvell Theater Youth Production, 7:30 p.m., 135 E. Fisher St.
• Piedmont Choral Society presents ‘Kisses and Cupcakes,’ 7 p.m., an evening of love songs and desserts. Forest Hill UMC, 265 Union St. N, Concord. Free. 704-699-6053.
• Madrigal dinner theater, Friday and Saturday: SRHS Varsity Singers and chorus II ensemble’s annual Renaissance style meal and musical theater. Trinity Lutheran Church, Landis. Tickets: Jan Gore, 704-857-1161, ext. 400.
SATURDAY, Feb. 25
• Goldmine Toastmasters, 8:30 a.m., Fairfield Inn, 30330 Cloverleaf Plaza, Kannapolis.
• Last two performances of Honk! Jr., Norvell Theater Youth production, 2:30 and 7:30 p.m., 135 E. Fisher St.
• Veterans Creative Arts Festival, 2 p.m., social room, building #6, Salisbury VA, 1601 Brenner Avenue. Exhibit on view to the public. www.salisbury.va.gov, www.facebook.com/ VASalisbury
• Joe Grotesque’ exhibit, 8-11 p.m.: The work of Salisbury native Joseph Dobbins, creator of underground comic book character ‘VooDude,’ Inksane Tattoo and Body Piercing, 1329 S. Main St.
SUNDAY, Feb. 26
Last night of ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ — 8 p.m., Old Courthouse Theatre, 49 Spring Street NW, Concord, www.oldcourthousetheatre.org
By Shavonne Potts email@example.com SALISBURY — Authorities have released the name of a would-be robber who was shot and killed... read more