Upcoming events for Relay for Life
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Relay For Life of Rowan County teams are raising funds for the American Cancer Society in preparation for the May 4 event.
Fundraisers coming up include:
• Continuing through February, Cauble Creek Vineyards hosts a wine special — buy three bottles, get one bottle of equal or lesser value for free, and $1 from each bundle will go to Relay For Life through the St. Mark’s Lutheran Church Relay team. Contact Cauble Creek 704-633-1137 or visit Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., and Sunday, 1-6 p.m.
• Join the Christiana Lutheran Church Relay team at a Pampered Chef Party on Saturday at 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall. Enjoy cooking demonstrations, buy cookware and other kitchen items and fellowship. The church is at 6190 U.S. Hwy. 52, Rockwell. Contact Saundra by email: email@example.com for more information.
• A Cruise Night information session for Tickled Pink Y’s Guys Relay For Life team takes place Saturday from noon until 3 p.m. at the J.F. Hurley YMCA. Travel Services Unlimited has brochures, ship information and agents available to answer questions about “Cruising to find a Cure” to the Bahamas, which sails from Charleston on Monday, July 30. Find out about special rates, offers and door prizes, too.
• East Rowan High School’s Relay team rocks with a Zumbathon on Wednesday, Feb. 22, from 3:30 to 6 p.m. in the high school gym. Enjoy Zumba moves for a $10 donation to Relay For Life with instructors Sherra Grissom, Wendi Heglar, Sandy Howell, Pat Jose and Tracy Perkins.
• Kannapolis Junior Woman’s Club hosts “Have a Heart: Give to Relay” Bunco Tournament on Friday, Feb. 24 at 6:30 p.m. at Kimball Memorial Lutheran Church Commons. Cost is $10 per person with refreshments served at the break. Child care available with your advance registration. Contact Cindy, 704-467-7711 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The church is at 101 Vance St., Kannapolis, across from CTC/Cannon Village. Make checks payable to American Cancer Society.
• Pamper Me Day 2012 takes place on Saturday, Feb. 25 at Christ United Methodist Church Family Life Center. Two sessions at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. include three hours of soft music in a relaxed atmosphere with good food, a manicure, foot soak, paraffin wax for hands and feet and chair massage. Donation is $40. Tickets go quickly, so contact Ruth 704-213-1161 or 704-637-1776 or email@example.com. Also contact Mary Jane, 704-633-2663 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Livin’ Good Livengood team is renowned for its annual Fish Fry for Relay For Life scheduled this year for Saturday, Feb. 25 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Rockwell United Methodist Church fellowship building. Menu includes all-you-can eat flounder and catfish, fries, slaw, hushpuppies, drink and dessert. Hot dogs will be available, too. Cost is $8 per person; $4 for children aged 2 to 10. The church is at 430 E. Main St., Rockwell.
• The F&M Bank Dream Team hosts a Glow! Zumbathon on Friday, March 2 from 7-10 p.m. at the F&M Trolley Barn, 125 E. Liberty St. Suggested donation to Relay For Life is $10 and includes a glow necklace. Registration begins 6:30 p.m. Instructors are Tracey Glenn, Carolyn Stout, Elizabeth Rodgers and Miriam Stirewalt. For more information, see www.fmbnc.com or contact Vickie at vkeene@fmbnc. com or Tonya at tbarber@ fmbnc.com.
• Chi Eta Phi Nursing Sorority hosts a captain’s choice golf tournament Saturday, March 10 at Corbin Hills Golf Club. Registration begins 8:30 a.m. with shotgun start at 9:30 a.m. Cost is $60 per golfer (includes cart and greens fees) or $240 per four-member team. Mulligans are $5 each (limit two). Hot dog lunch planned following the tournament. Contact Donna, email@example.com.
• Sweet Potato Queens keep busy with a Chicken Noodle Dinner on Saturday, March 10 from 4-7 p.m. at Organ Lutheran Church. Menu of chicken and noodles (or hot dog), slaw, cracker, pickles, homemade dessert and beverage is available for a donation of $6 for adults; $3 for 3 years and under. Contact any team member for a ticket or Cindy, 704-647-9560 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Finish your day on March 10 with the Committed to the Cause Dinner-Dance. BJ& Friends team hosts at Salisbury Elks Lodge with Carolina beach music by Chad Sain. Dinner and dance for a donation to Relay For Life of $25 per person or $40 per couple and begins with a social hour from 6-7 p.m. Dinner at 7 p.m. Dance only at 9 p.m. is a donation of $15. A silent auction, luminaria, drawings and more with a weekend pass to CBMA events included in the auction item. Contact Mike, 704-202-0164, or Becky, 704-239-5563 or email@example.com.
• Morgan Elementary School’s “Morgan Broncos” team has a homemade quilt in a pattern called The Little School House which they will award in a drawing on May 4. Tickets are available now for $5 or 3 for $10, and all proceeds go to Relay For Life. Contact Gail Foster at 704-636-0169 or beattisj@rss. k12.nc.us for tickets or information.
• Shiloh United Methodist Church “Cancer Crushers” collect aluminum cans from now until the Relay. Toss bagged, used cans into the trailer on the grass parking lot by the church on South Salisbury Avenue (U.S. 52), Granite Quarry.
Relay For Life is an overnight event designed to celebrate survivorship and raise money for research and programs of your American Cancer Society. During the event, teams of people gather and take turns walking or running laps. Each team tries to keep at least one team member on the track at all times.
The 2012 Rowan County Relay will be held May 4-5. Relay event chair is Brittney Barnhardt, firstname.lastname@example.org. nc.us. For information or services of the American Cancer Society: www.cancer.org. or 1-800-ACS-2345 (227-2345). See also www.relayforlife.org/rowan. Facebook: Rowan County Relay For Life.