Book uses postcards to tell story of Cabarrus County
A new book aims to tell the story of Cabarrus County through images captured on postcards.
George Michael Patterson is the author of “Concord and Cabarrus County Revisited.” This is his second book in the series, “Postcard History.” The book includes more than 200 vintage postcards.
In the 1760s, John Patterson, a Scottish emigrant, set out for the North Carolina Piedmont, along with a group of adventurous pioneers. Along the banks of Coldwater Creek, Patterson discovered fertile farming land, plenty of timber, decent game to hunt and eat, and friendly natives in what was then Mecklenburg County.
Cabarrus County’s history includes the first gold discovered in the United States. Today, the county includes NASCAR’s Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord Mills, a convention center and the N.C. Research Campus.
“Concord and Cabarrus County Revisited”is full of old photographs of homes, businesses, churches and schools.
Captured in the book is a postcard of the St. James Lutheran Church’s second building, built in 1882 on “Foard’s Corner.” The entrance to the church was built high, making it an ideal location for preachers, politicians and “callers” who made public announcements.
The book also tells of Odell Mill and includes a photo of the fire that occurred there on Aug. 15, 1908. Building Number Four, the largest and best mill in the Odell Chain, was engulfed in flames. The fire was said to be the most exciting thing known to Concord at that time.
The book is available for $21.99 at area bookstores, independent and online retailers, or through Arcadia Publishing at www.arcadiapublishing.com .
The Rowan County Concert Association presents Billy Dean and his Guitar on Saturday, March 3. The concert is at 7:30... read more