Smoke alarm alerted Kannapolis family to fire

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, February 8, 2012

KANNAPOLIS – No one was hurt in a house fire Tuesday night on Ninth Street. Fire officials credit a working smoke alarm that alerted the family to the fire.
Shortly after 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, the Kannapolis Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 506 W. Ninth St. They were told of a female still inside the home.
Fire units arrived less than three minutes later to find smoke visible from the home. Crews quickly confirmed that the residents were safe and accounted for and then proceeded to extinguish the blaze.
As a precaution, Rowan EMS was notified to respond. While speaking with the occupants, it was discovered that a smoke alarm alerted them of the fire. One of the residents retrieved a fire extinguisher and knocked the fire down as the Kannapolis Fire Department arrived.
As in this case, a working smoke alarm can provide an early warning that can make the difference between life and death, the press release from the department says. According to studies published by the National Fire Protection Association, having a smoke alarm cuts the risk of dying in a fire by nearly half.
However, a smoke alarm should be part of an overall home fire safety strategy that also includes preventing fires by adopting fire safe behavior, and developing and practicing a home fire escape plan. In a fire, escape time may be very limited, the release says.
Kannapolis Fire Investigators have determined that the fire started as a result of an electrical malfunction in a water heater.

Comments

Comments closed.