Town crier, week of Jan. 9
Today, Jan. 9
• Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education work session, 5 p.m., 110 S. Long Street, East Spencer.
• Kannapolis Board of Education, 5 p.m., KCS Administrative Offices, 100 Denver St.
• Kannapolis City Council, 6 p.m., Train Station, 201 S. Main St.
• East Spencer Board of Aldermen, 6:30 p.m., Town Hall, 105 S. Long St., East Spencer.
• Rockwell Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 202 E. Main St., Rockwell.
• Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy support group, 7 p.m., Cafeteria Conference Room, Rowan Regional Medical Center. Free. 704-637-1021.
• Chapter 909 of the Vietnam Veterans of America, Concord, 7 p.m., Cabarrus Senior Center, 331 Corban Ave SE (NC 73 East). For Vietnam Veterans, Vietnam Era Veterans, spouses. 704-467-2246, 980-621-8735.
TUESDAY, Jan. 10
• Salisbury Planning Board 4 p.m. meeting in City Hall council chambers cancelled. NOTE: Special committee of Salisbury Planning Board to hold 4 p.m. meeting, second floor City Hall conference room, 217 S. Main St., to discuss Planning Board 2012-2013 goals and provide orientation for new members.
• Rowan County Board of Health Meeting, 6:30 p.m., Health Department Community Room.
• Rowan History Club, 7 p.m., “Civil War Civilians in NC,” presented by LeRae Umfleet. Free. Messinger Room of Rowan Museum, 202 N. Main St., email@example.com
• Faith Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 100 N. Main St., Faith.
• Spencer Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Spencer Municipal Building, 600 S. Salisbury Ave., Spencer.
WEDNESDAY, Jan. 11
• Greenway Committee, 5:15 p.m., City Park Center.
• RowanWORKS/Salisbury-Rowan EDC Jan. 11 meeting postponed to Jan. 19.
THURSDAY, Jan. 12
• Rowan County Alzheimer’s Association Support Group, 4:30 p.m., Lutheran Home at Trinity Oaks conference room, 704-603-2756.
• Salisbury-Rowan Home Builders Association, 6:30 p.m., Salisbury Holiday Inn, 530 South Jake Alexander Blvd., dinner meeting for installation of 2012 SRHBA president. RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-633-4494.
• AAUW (American Association of University Women), Salisbury branch, 6:30 p.m., Trinity Oaks special events room, 728 Klumac Road. Brunetta Franklin, 704-798-2574, brunetta3@aol. com, salisbury-nc.aauw.net
• Epilepsy Support Group, 7 p.m.,United Methodist Church, 217 S. Church St. Free. 704-639-0847, youngcarol@ hotmail.com
• Salisbury Historic Preservation Commission Jan. 12 meeting postponed to Jan. 19.
• Salisbury Public Art Committee Jan. 12 meeting postponed to Feb. 9.
FRIDAY, Jan. 13
• Writers Open Mic, 6:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13, Third Branch Café, 226 E. Main St., Yadkinville. Presented by NC Writers Network and Yadkin Arts Council, suzyb3 @gmail.com to register.
SATURDAY, Jan. 14
• Goldmine Toastmasters, 8:30 a.m., Fairfield Inn, 30330 Cloverleaf Plaza, Kannapolis.
SUNDAY, Jan. 15
• 35th annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. birthday celebration and humanitarian awards, 3 p.m., Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church of Salisbury, Inc., 1920 Shirley Ave., Dr. Nilous M. Avery, pastor, Levonia M. Corry, chair.
• Last day of donation drive for Knollwood Elementary School, children’s clean, gently used/new coats, sweaters, sweatshirts, shoes, pants; contact email@example.com for sizes.