Three teenagers robbed at gunpoint in Kannapolis
Published 12:00 am Thursday, December 29, 2011
By Nathan Hardin
KANNAPOLIS — Authorities are searching for a Concord man after investigators say he robbed three teenagers at gunpoint Sunday morning.
Cody Johnson, Tajh Johnson, 17, and Nicholas Link returned to Link’s house from Cookout about 3:15 a.m., according to a Rowan County Sheriff’s Office report.
When the three pulled up in the driveway at 115 E. 30th St., a man, later identified as Irving Omar Pozo, wearing a blue hoodie asked for a ride to West 3rd Street, the report said.
The three men told deputies the man walked up to the car, where they realized he was wearing a blue bandana on his face and was carrying a silver .22-caliber pistol.
The man then ordered them out of the car and fired a shot in the air, the report said.
Officers said Pozo yelled at the teenagers and asked if they wanted to die, before taking money, a cell phone, Ipods and Newport cigarettes.
As he took 19-year-old Tajh Johnson’s phone, the report said, the man looked at Johnson and asked, “Don’t I know you?”
Johnson told authorities that he then realized the man was Pozo and said he knew he lived in Concord.
The man then demanded the keys to a car in the driveway and Link told him he needed to go inside the house to get it.
The teenagers told investigators that the man followed 17-year-old Link to the house, but Link’s father opened the door and the robber fled into the woods.
Investigators found a bullet at the house and a red Quest bicycle in the road in front of the 30th Street home and believe it belonged to Pozo.
They also found Cody Johnson’s cell phone which had been dropped when the man fled.
Deputies said Pozo, 23, lives at 220 Moore Dr. NW, Concord.
Officers have drawn warrants for arrest and plan to charge Pozo with three counts of felony robbery with a dangerous weapon.
Investigators ask anyone with information about the robbery to call the Sheriff’s Office at 704-216-8700 or contact your local law enforcement agency.