NAACP awards 19 scholarships to area graduates
The Salisbury-Rowan Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has awarded educational grants to 19 2011 high school graduates. The funds for the educational grants are raised through the annual Harvest Banquet. Major corporate sponsors who help to underwrite this event are Food Lion and Holmes Iron & Metal. Other corporate donors are Rowan Regional Medical Center/Novant and Salisbury Post.
The scholarships are based on academic achievement, written essays, community service involvement and extra school-based activities.
The recipients are:
• Erroll Rasheen Samaroo, son of Errol and Valerie Samaroo, a graduate of Salisbury High School and a student at North Carolina State University.
• Precious Mann, daughter of Paulette Kerr and Huber LeeArn Mann Jr., a graduate of Salisbury High School and a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
• Christopher J. Hester, a graduate of South Rowan High School, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bennett Hester Jr., a student at East Carolina University.
• Leland Chapman, son of Brian and Donna Rucker and Leonard Chapman, a graduate of Carson, a student at Morehouse College in Atlanta.
• Ariana Wise, daughter of Judy Ann and Robert Dale, a student at High Point University.
• Joseph Wiggins, son of Vera Wiggins, a graduate of North Rowan High School, who attends NCSU.
• Tijara Miller, daughter of Melissa D. Vinson, a graduate of North Rowan High School, who attends Spelman University of Atlanta.
• Janoah Williams, daughter of Eldridge and Brenda Williams, who attends the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
• Kierra Perry, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Perry, a graduate of West Rowan High School who attends North Carolina A&T State University.
• Brittney Dummett, daughter of Stephanie Dummett and Michael Dummett, who attends Winston-Salem State University.
• Brionna Rankin, daughter of Latoya and Edwin Cherry, a graduate of North Rowan High School who is a student at Johnson C. Smith University.
• Royale Nichole, son of Phoebe Nichols, a graduate of West Rowan High School and a student at Western Carolina University.
• Devon Corpening, son of Dock and Martina Corpening, a graduate of East Rowan High School and student at WSSU.
• Darrius Campbell, son of Douglas Ray and Sandra Sims-Campbell, a graduate of Salisbury High School and a student at WSSU.
• Amber Gilmore, daughter of Kenneth and Diane Gilmore, a graduate of West Rowan High School and a student at WSSU.
• Chantel Barklely, daughter of Ruby Steele, a graduate of Salisbury High School and a student at Fayetteville State University.
• Micah Ford, son of Tammy Ford, a graduate of Salisbury High School and a student at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
• William Watkins Jr., son of Jeff and Valerie Watkins, a graduate of Salisbury High School and student at UNCC.
• Eisha Clyde, daughter of Sharon Clyde, a graduate of Salisbury High School and a student at North Carolina Central University.
CONCORD — The two people killed in a shooting at a Concord Lowe’s were a husband and wife from Salisbury.... read more