Fire damages home on Liberty Road
By Nathan Hardin
A burning trash pile caught a Liberty Road home on fire Thursday just hours before the family was to be evicted.
Residents James and Deborah Shepherd said their 5-year-old grandson Tyler noticed a bedroom curtain catch fire after a gust of wind blew a burning piece of trash through the home’s open window about 3 p.m.
Rowan County Fire Inspector Aaron Youngblood said the fire spread to the ceiling, causing significant damage to the back corner of the home.
James Shepherd said his grandson saved the rest of the house.
“He was the hero,” Shepherd said through tears. “He was the one that said, ‘The house is on fire.’ ”
Shepherd had burns on his hands after he ran inside and pulled the curtains down. He declined to be taken to Rowan Regional Medical Center by Rowan EMS.
The family appeared to be burning clothes, aerosol cans and other assorted trash just a few feet from the house.
Youngblood said the Fire Marshal’s office is investigating.
Liberty Fire, Gold Hill Fire and Poole Town Fire responded to the fire.
Several Liberty firefighter told the Post the family was supposed to be evicted at midnight.
By Mark Wineka firstname.lastname@example.org SALISBURY – The sun tried earnestly to save the remnants of a recent Sunday as I... read more