Body found near Tamarac Marina

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, September 13, 2011

By Nathan Hardin
Authorities identified the body of a fisherman who fell into High Rock Lake near Tamarac Marina on Monday as Brian Fuller of Lexington.
According to Rowan County Rescue Squad Chief Coyt Karriker, Fuller’s body was found at 7:35 p.m. Monday by Rowan Rescue and Davie Rescue dive teams.
Fuller, of 223 Bookington Drive, Lexington, fell into the lake shortly before 2 p.m. An emergency responder said two men were fishing near Tamarac Marina off Bringle Ferry Road. One man became ill, reeled in his line and sat down. When he stood up again, he fell backwards off the boat.
According to an incident report from the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office, Fuller’s family told authorities the 34-year-old “suffered from seizures periodically.” Authorities could not confirm if the man had a seizure before falling in Monday afternoon.
Responders from Rowan Rescue, Davie Rescue, West Liberty Fire, Gold Hill Fire, Millers Ferry Fire, Rowan County Sheriff’s, N.C. Wildlife and Poole Town Fire searched for the man for more than five hours before recovering the body.
Fuller and another man, Samuel Smith, had been fishing together on Smith’s boat since 8 a.m. Monday morning. Neither man was wearing a life jacket.
Witnesses on the scene told a Post reporter that Fuller frequently fished on High Rock Lake. The incident report said Fuller “seemed to be fine all day.”
According to a cashier at Tamarac Marina, the man was fishing in a tournament and was about to return at 2 p.m. Bystanders said the man fell into the water about 1:55 p.m.
William Robinson was fishing about 25 yards from Fuller and his friend and called 911 when he saw Fuller fall in.
“It was almost in slow motion,” he said. “When the guy’s hat came up, I thought it was him coming up, but it was just his hat.”
Doug File knows Fuller and was also fishing in a nearby boat. When he saw Fuller fall in, File dove in to help.
“I dove probably 10 times. I went to the bottom and came back up several times, but I couldn’t find him,” File said. “You could see 4 feet around you (in the water), but I couldn’t see him.”
People at the lake who knew Fuller said he could swim.
Smith confirmed Fuller’s name on the scene, but declined to comment further. Bystanders on the scene said Smith was the first to dive in after Fuller.