Child sets bed on fire
By Shavonne Potts
EAST SPENCER ó Fire officials say a child accidentally set a familyís house on fire while playing with a lighter Sunday morning.
The fire occurred at 11:30 a.m. at 101 N. Long St., at the corner of Long and West Henderson streets.
ěThe child was in the bedroom looking for something under the bed and had a lighter and accidentally set the bed on fire,î said East Spencer Fire Chief Shane Cranfield.
ěIt was all defensive. We could not go inside,î he said of the fire.
The first on the scene was Spencer Fire Chief Gray Grubb and right behind him was Cranfield.
ěHe had called it a working fire,î Cranfield said.
When Cranfield arrived the fire was coming out of the windows.
The family managed to get out of the house. They were renting. It is not known how many people were in the home or if they had renterís insurance.
The heat played a huge factor in fighting the fire, Cranfield said.
ěWe had a lot of guys going into rehab to rehydrate,î he said.
The Rowan County Rescue Squad provided the firefighters with drinking water.
The following agencies also responded: Millerís Ferry, Spencer, Union, Ellis Cross Country, Granite Quarry, South Salisbury and Salisbury fire departments.
Red Cross officials helped the family.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.