MONDAY, Aug. 1
• Rowan County Board of Commissioners, 3 p.m., 130 W. Innes St.
• Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners, 3:30 p.m., 65 Church St. SE, Concord.
• East Spencer Town Board of Aldermen, 6:30 p.m., Town Hall.
• Landis Town Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall.
• Cleveland Town Board of Commissioners, 7 p.m., Town Hall.
• Granite Quarry Town Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall.
• Kannapolis History Associates, 7 p.m., Rotary Hall 211 West Ave., Kannapolis. See the new History Room.
• 2nd Annual Alumni Throwback Tournament, Carson High School Gymnasium, last day, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-521-0091
• Summer Exhibition, “In The Details,” through Aug. 13, Waterworks Visual Art Center Waterworks. Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10-5; Tuesday, Thursday 10-7; Saturday 11-3.
TUESDAY, Aug. 2
• Salisbury City Council, 4 p.m., City Hall, 217 S. Main St.
• China Grove Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m.,
308 E. Centerview St., China Grove.
• Humane Society of Rowan County dog wash “FUN raiser,” 2-4 p.m., Oak Park Retirement Community, 548 White Oaks Drive. No fee; donations appreciated. Dogs must be on leashes. Donations of dry cat food and litter are particularly needed at this time and will be accepted.
• National Night Out.
WEDNESDAY, Aug. 3
• Cabarrus Rowan Community STEM Meeting, 4 p.m., RCCC’s biotechnology building at the N.C. Research Campus, Kannapolis.
• 2011 Giordana Crossroads Classic cycling races, Wednesday-Sunday. Starts 6:15 p.m. Wednesday with Cabarrus Creamery Criterium in Concord. Other venues: 6 p.m. Thursday, Salisbury Criterium; 6 p.m. Friday, Statesville Criterium; 8:30 a.m. Saturday, High Rock Road Race; and 8:30 a.m. Sunday, City Park Criterium (Salisbury).
• “The Prisoner of Second Avenue,” 7:30 p.m., Wednesday-Saturday, The Meroney Theater. www.piedmontplayers.com, 704-633-5471
FRIDAY, Aug. 5
• Summer Night Out, Downtown Salisbury.
• Salisbury Ghost Walk, 7, 7:30 and 8:30 p.m. Adults $10, students $5, under 5 free. www.salisburyghostwalk.com, 704-642-1734
• “The Faith Experience,” exhibit of Sean Meyers’ photography, 6-8 p.m., Parish Hall of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 131 W. Council St.
• Kannapolis Movies in the Park, “Night at the Museum,” 8:45 p.m., Village Park.
SATURDAY, Aug. 6
• Red Cross Blood Drive, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Tilley Harley-Davidson of Salisbury, 653 Bendix Drive.
• PAW event, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., involving Humane Society of Rowan County and pets awaiting adoption, at Tractor Supply on Julian Road. T-shirts, magnets and tote bags will be for sale. Pet food donations will be accepted.
MONDAY, Aug. 8
• Red Cross Blood Drive, noon-4:30 p.m., E.H. Dole Chapter, 1930 Jake Alexander Blvd.
• Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education work session, 5 p.m., 110 S. Long Street, East Spencer,
• Rockwell Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 202 E. Main St., Rockwell.
• Kannapolis City Council, 6 p.m., Train Station, 201 S. Main St.
• Spencer Shops book published by Acadia goes on sale in book stores.
• Youth in Action Against Tobacco Council TRU meeting, 6:30-8:15 pm, Rowan Public Library Hurley Meeting Room. Dinner provided.
• Vietnam Veterans of America, Concord Chapter 909, 7 p.m., Cabarrus Senior Center, 331 Corban Ave. (N.C. 73). Light meal at 6:30 p.m.
TUESDAY, Aug. 9
• Faith Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 100 N. Main St., Faith.
• Salisbury Planning Board, 4 p.m., Council Chambers, City Hall, 217 S. Main St.
• Spencer Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Spencer Municupal Building, 600 S. Salisbury Ave., Spencer.
FRIDAY, Aug. 12
• Red Cross Blood Drive, 12:30-5 p.m., N.C. State Highway Patrol, 5780 S. Main St., Salisbury.
SATURDAY, Aug. 13
• New students arrive at Catawba College; classes begin Aug. 17.
• Love to Learn Conference for beginning and experienced homeschoolers, Central Piedmont Community College, 48 sessions. www.LoveToLearnConference.com
• Trail Walk at Eagle Point Nature Preserve, 10:30-11:30 a.m., meets at Eagle Point parking lot for a nature walk led by Dan Nicholas Park Nature Center Staff. No fee.
• In the Footsteps of Daniel Boone, NC Transportation Museum, Spencer.
• Salisbury Historic Trolley, Salisbury-Rowan County Visitors Center
• Too Much Sylvia, Village Park, Kannapolis.
• Project Devil Dog, Tilley Harley-Davidson of Salisbury
• 2nd Saturday Art Crawl, Salisbury and Spencer
SUNDAY, Aug. 14
• Red Cross Blood Drive, 1-5:30 p.m., Calvary Baptist Tabernacle, 3760 Stokes Ferry Road.
MONDAY, Aug. 15
• Fall semester at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College begins.
• Rowan County Literacy Council four-session tutor training workshop begins, 7-9 p.m., in the Hurley Room of the Rowan Public Library. Other sessons follow on Aug. 22, 24 and 27. Registration $20. Reservations, 704-216-8266.
Thursday, Aug. 18
• Back to school for teachers in Rowan-Salisbury Schools, with required workday on Aug. 18, required staff development Aug. 19 and 22, and another required workday Aug. 24.
FRIDAY, Aug. 19
• Red Cross Blood Drive, 1:30-6 p.m., Walmart Supercenter, 323 S. Arlington St., Salisbury.
• Kannapolis Movies in the Park, “Tangled,” 8:45 p.m., Village Park.
• 5K Tomato Trot — 6:15 p.m. registration, 7:30 p.m. start. Register at Active.com or email email@example.com. Pre-registration $20, $25 day of race. Entertainment and awards from stage. 885 Woodleaf Barber Road, Woodleaf, 704-224-5134
SATURDAY, Aug. 20
• School Tools Giveaway, sponsored by Communities in Schools.
• Woodleaf Tomato Festival, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.: Silent auction, tomato recipe cook-off, bake sale, live music and entertainment, Ms. Tomato Queen contest, L’il Tommy Toe and L’il Miss Mater and Litte Mater Sprout contests, parade at 10 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org.
• RiverDance, fundraiser for LandTrust for Central North Carolina.
• Kannapolis Stories Under the Stars, featuring Bobby McMillon, 7 p.m., patio, Kannapolis Branch Library, 850 Mountain St.
WEDNESDAY, Aug. 24
• The Carolina Artist’s “The Real Carolina Artist’s 2011 Expo” — Aug. 24-26, Salisbury Civic Center, 315 S. Martin Luther King Ave. Artists reception 6 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 25 • Paint with the Carolina Artists as teachers on Wednesday, Au. 24, 10 a.m-noon; Thursday, Aug. 25, 2-4 p.m.; Friday, Aug. 26, 6-8 p.m. Bring your own art supplies, any medium. Register one week before class, 704-638-5275. Salisbury Civic Center, 315 S. Martin Luther King Ave.
THURSDAY, Aug. 25
• First day of school for Rowan-Salisbury School System, Kannapolis City Schools.
• REACH (Rowan Education and Advocacy for Choices in Healthcare) Senior Fair and Open House, 9-11:30 a.m., Oak Park Retirement, 548 White Oaks Drive (off Enon Church Road). 704-636-4600. Free and open to the public.
SATURDAY, Aug. 27
• Stanly County Agri-Civic Day, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Stanly County Agri-Civic Center, 26032 Newt Road, Albemarle, sponsored by Friends of the Stanly County Agri-Civic Center .
• Music on the Mountain, noon-6 p.m., Dunn’s Mountain Park.
SATURDAY, Sept. 24
• “A Night At The Opry” fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis — 7 p.m., featuring music by DC & The Chosen Few, Lynn Owsley, Dottie Jack, David Ridenhour and G.W. Saunders. Doors open 6 p.m., St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church. Food and drink will be available.