Providence Methodist scholarships
Providence United Methodist Church 2011-2012 scholarship award recipients are:
• Tim Agner is an East Rowan graduate and is attending N.C. State University, majoring in history. He is a member of the NCSU Men’s Choir and NCSU Chamber Singers. Tim is employed part time at Dan Nicholas Park. He is the son of Denise and Willie Myers. Renewal, $750.
• Travis Cauble is an East Rowan graduate and a rising senior attending Catawba College, majoring in business administration. Travis is on the dean’s list at Catawba. He is a member of the Audio-Visual Team at Providence. He holds an N.C. Firefighter II certification and is an officer for the Union Volunteer Fire Department. He is employed part time by McKenzie Sports Products. Travis was the Providence UMC 2010 recipient of the Jody Peeler Citizenship Award. Travis is the son of Steve and Connie Cauble. Renewal, $750.
• Samantha Darconte is a 2011 East Rowan Honors graduate and will attend Rowan- Cabarrus Community College, majoring in radiology. Samantha received the Providence UMC 2011 Jody Peeler Citizenship Award. In addition to the Providence Scholarship Award, Samantha received an N.C. Veteran’s Affairs Scholarship, Salisbury District UMC Scholarship, Walker Memorial Scholarship, and RCCC Radiography Scholarship. She is the daughter of Nick and Leigh Ann Darconte. New, $750.
• Lauren Hall is an East Rowan High School graduate and attends Guilford Technical Community College pursuing an associate degree in applied science as a physical therapist assistant and is on the dean’s list. She is a firefighter, medical responder and the assistant medical coordinator for Union Volunteer Fire Department. Lauren is a member of the Audio-Visual Team, Counting Team, treasurer for the Hammers For Christ Mission Team and is on the Nominating Committee at Providence United Methodist Church. Lauren is the daughter of Frank and Sharon Hall. Renewal, $750.
• Hayley Kirschner is a 2011 East Rowan honors graduate and will attend N.C. State University, majoring in chemistry. Hayley was inducted into the North Carolina Association of Student Council Hall of Fame for her service work. She is the daughter of Lisa Newsom. New, $750.
• J.R. Poole is an East Rowan graduate and attends the University of North Carolina at Charlotte majoring in mechanical engineering. He is a captain for Union Volunteer Fire Department, member of the Audio-Visual Team at Providence UMC and chairman of Providence’s Hammers For Christ Mission Team. In 2010, J.R. received the following awards and honors: President’s List, Certificate of Achievement in mechanical engineering technology and the Harry S. Merrell Memorial Award for Outstanding Achievement. He is employed as an engineering intern at Husqvarna Outdoor Products. He is the son of Rod and Cindy Poole. Renewal, $750.
• Jonathan Stanley is a 2011 East Rowan honors graduate and will attend Rowan-Cabarrus Community College, majoring in electronic engineering. He is the son of Paula and Buster Shoemaker.
Providence Legacy Fund Community Outreach Scholarships: In addition to the individual scholarship awards, Providence United Methodist is funding the second year of a three-year term for three scholarships at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College for RCCC students.
These scholarships are given to help persons who are retraining for new careers due to job transitioning caused by the recent downturn in the state and national economies. They are: welding curriculum in memory of Hilton J. Swindell, $1,500 annual; chemistry-nursing program, in honor of John Wyatt, $1,500 annual; and machine shop technology, in honor of Gernal “Buddy” Lowman, $1,500 annual.