No one hurt in East Spencer fire

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Nathan Hardin
EAST SPENCER — Benny Craig stared in disbelief Tuesday afternoon as he watched the home he rented to a couple just a week ago burn.
“That house had been in the family for years,” he said.
Corey Chadwick and his wife had been renting the 406 East Division Ave. home, Craig said. They moved in just a week ago.
According to Fire Inspector J. Aaron Youngblood, a window air conditioning unit malfunctioned and caught fire at about 2 p.m. The flames spread to the home’s attic.
Craig said the Chadwicks did not have renters insurance, but he was glad no one was injured.
“I’m glad nobody was hurt,” Craig said. “It’s been a good old house.”
Chadwick and his wife were overcome by emotion at the scene, often just staring at the house they briefly called home.
The couple declined to comment.
Neighbor Reggie Wood said he could smell the smoke before emergency services arrived.
“You could see the smoke and smell it,” Wood said.
An East Spencer firefighter overcome by the heat was treated and released, according to East Spencer Safety Captain Joseph Lineberry. Lineberry reported the firefighter as being in good condition. No one else was injured.
Due to the fire’s size, East Spencer Fire Department activated a second alarm.
East Spencer Fire Department was the first to respond. Other agencies involved include Spencer Fire, Millers Ferry Fire, Granite Quarry Fire, Salisbury Fire, South Salisbury Fire, Ellis Volunteer Fire, Rowan County Rescue Squad and Rowan County fire marshals.