Fire damages East Spencer home

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, July 26, 2011

EAST SPENCER — A house at 406 East Division Ave. sustained extensive damage in a fire this afternoon.
Fire Inspector J. Aaron Youngblood said a window air conditioning unit malfunctioned and caught fire at about 2 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
The flames spread to the home’s attic.
Benny Craig, the home’s owner, said he was renting the house to Corey Chadwick and his wife.
The Chadwicks moved in just one week ago.?They did not have renters insurance, Craig said.
“That house has been in the family for years,” Craig said. “I’m glad nobody was hurt. It’s been a good old house.”
Chadwick and his wife declined to comment.
Neighbor Reggie Wood said he could smell the smoke before emergency services arrived.
“You could see the smoke and smell it,” Wood said.
An East Spencer firefighter was treated on the scene, apparently for a heat-related illness. No one else was injured.
Check back for more information.