• Independence Day. Banks, government offices and some businesses closed.
• Faith Fourth of July Celebration: 10 a.m., parade with Grand Marshal Ralph Ketner, followed by flag raising and national anthem, the crowning of Miss Rowan County Veteran and music by the Salisbury Swing Band; 7 p.m., Faith Idol finals, games, watermelon-eating contest and egg toss, 8 p.m., live music by The Catalinas; 9 p.m., wrestling; 10 p.m., salute to volunteers; 10:30 p.m., fireworks.
TUESDAY, July 5
• Rowan County Board of Commissioners, 3 pm, Rowan County Administration Building, 130 W. Innes St.
• China Grove Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 205 Swink St., China Grove.
• Concord Book Club, 5:30 p.m., discussing Stieg Larsson’s “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.” Register at 704-920-2053, Concord Library auditorium, 27 Union St., N.
WEDNESDAY, July 6
• Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners, 3:30 pm, Cabarrus County Government Center, 65 Church St. SE, Concord.
• Community Blood Center of the Carolinas blood drive, 10 am-3 pm, CMC NorthEast, 920 Church St., Concord, NC 28025
THURSDAY, July 7
• Salisbury City Council, 4 p.m., City Hall, 217 S. Main St. (Shown on Access16 Wednesdays, Fridays & Sundays at 9 a.m., 3 p.m., 8 p.m.)
• Hot Dog and Dessert Sale, 11 am-7 pm, Rodger’s Park Reformed Church, 704 E. 22nd St., Kannapolis. 704-932-8301.
• AARP Local Chapter Meeting. Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, 1120 S. Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave., at 1 pm. Patrick Schmeltzer of the Salisbury Police Department will speak about drugs. Senior citizens age 50 and older are encouraged to attend and join. Dues are $3 per year. 704-216-7714.
FRIDAY, July 8
• Veronika Jackson performing at Black Box Theater, 405 N. Lee St., 7:30 pm. $10. To benefit Rowan Blues and Jazz Society. www.rowanbluesandjazz.com/
• Movies in the Park: “Megamind,” 8:45 p.m., Kannapolis Village Park. Free. 704-920-4343, www.cityofkannapolis.com/summerevents
• Salisbury Ghost Walk; 7, 7:30 and 8:30 pm, downtown Salisbury. Adults $10, students $5, under 5 free. 704-642-1734, www.salisburyghostwalk.com
SATURDAY, July 9
• Master Gardeners Retro Flower Show, entries received 8-10 am, open to the public 1-5 pm, Rowan County Agriculture Building, 2727-A Concord Road, 704-216-8970.
• Second Saturday Art Crawl, Salisbury and Spencer, 1-5 pm. Maps and free parking available at galleries and at the Rowan Arts Council office. More info: 704-638-9887, www.rowanartcrawl.com
• Learning to Fly, N.C. Transportation Museum, Spencer, 10 a.m. 704-636-2889, www.nctrans.org
• Salisbury Historic Trolley, 11 am and 1 pm. Tours begin and end at the Salisbury-Rowan County Visitor’s Center, 204 E. Innes St. Tickets $8 for adults, $5 for children 4 to 10 and free for under 4. 704.638.3100, www.visitsalisburync.com
• Spencer Circus Train, 7:30 p.m., puppets, animals, songs, games, free snow cones at Library Park, 3rd Street in Spencer, sponsored by Spencer Central UMC, 704-636-4101.
• Avett Brothers concert simulcast, Charlotte Motor Speedway. Gates open 8 p.m., Grace Potter and the Nocturnals scheduled to begin at 9:30 p.m., Avett Brothers scheduled to perform around 11 p.m. Tickets $10 until July 1, $15 until July 8, $20 DOS, 1-800-455-FANS (3267).
MONDAY, July 11
• Red Cross blood drive, 1-5:30 pm, E.H. Dole Chapter, 1930 Jake Alexander Blvd West.
WEDNESDAY, July 13
• Rowan County Master Gardener plant sale, in conjunction with propagation clinics, 11 am-1 pm. Outdoor Learning Center and Greenhouse at the Agricultural Center on Old Concord Road. 704-216-8970.
THURSDAY, July 14
• Krazy Klearance days in downtown Salisbury, through Saturday.
FRIDAY, July 15
• Krazy Night Out, 5-9 pm, Downtown Salisbury. 704-637-7814.
SATURDAY, July 16
• China Grove Farmers Day, downtown China Grove, 9 am-11 pm. www.chinagrovefarmersday.com/
• Concord Gun and Knife Show at Cabarrus Arena, July 16-17: 1:30 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Adults $8, children under 12 free with paying adult. Cabarrus Arena, 4751 NC Hwy 49,Concord, www.cabarrusarena.com, 704-920-3976.