Red Cross needs O negative blood
The supply of type O negative blood at the American Red Cross has dropped to critically low levels.
Type O negative blood is always in high demand because it can be transfused to patients with any blood type, especially in emergency situations.
Type O negative donors are needed now to help prevent the type O negative blood supply from declining further.
“The American Red Cross is reaching out to eligible blood donors, sponsors and community leaders to ask them to help recruit type O negative blood donations to help meet the needs of patients in our community,” says Tiffany Jacobs, spokesperson for the American Red Cross Carolinas Blood Services Region.
While all blood types are needed during the summer months, the Red Cross urges those eligible donors with O negative blood type to make and keep appointments in the upcoming days to help restore the blood supply.
A shortage of type O negative blood often occurs during the summer months when fewer donors are giving because of summer vacations and schools approaching summer break are hosting fewer drives.
Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood. The Red Cross Carolinas Blood Services Region provides blood to 103 hospitals and must have 1,600 people give blood and platelets each weekday to meet hospital demand.
Accident victims, as well as patients with cancer, sickle cell disease, blood disorders and other illnesses receive lifesaving transfusions every day. There is no substitute for blood and volunteer donors are the only source.
Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in some states), meet weight and height requirements (110 pounds or more, depending on their height) and are in generally good health may be eligible to give blood. Please bring your Red Cross blood donor card or other form of positive ID when you come to donate.
Eligible blood donors are asked to find a blood drive and to make an appointment to donate blood.
Upcoming drives include:
• Thursday, June 23, 2:30 pm –7:00 pm, Lutheran Home Trinity Oaks, 820 Klumac Road, Salisbury. For an appointment, please call Martha Parrott 704-637-3784.
• Friday, June 24, 11:00 am –3:00 pm, Genesis Eldercare, 710 Julian Road, Salisbury. For an appointment, please call Denise Daugherty 704-738-1008.
• Friday, June 24, 1:30 pm –5:30 pm, Walmart Supercenter, 323 South Arlington Street, Salisbury. For an appointment, please call Jan Harwood 704-857-1986 or the Red Cross office 704-633-3854.
• Friday, June 24, 9:00 am –1:30 pm, RHA Health Services Inc., 211 Roseman Lane. For an appointment, please call Jane Williams 704-278-9681.
• Sunday, June 26, 12:30 pm –5:00 pm, Faith Baptist, 203 N. Main Street, Faith. For an appointment, please call Pat Barton 704-279-7736.
• Sunday, June 26, 1:00 pm –5:30 pm, Rock Grove United Methodist Church, 1050 Rock Grove Church Road, Salisbury. For an appointment, please call Terry Trammell 704-857-3425.
• Monday, June 27, 2:30 pm –7:00 pm, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 205 St. Paul Church Road, Salisbury. Walk-ins welcome.
• Thursday, June 30, 2:00 pm –6:30 pm, Saleeby-Fisher East Rowan YMCA, 790 Cresent Road, Rockwell. For an appointment, please call Sarah Zander or Kathy Rummage 704-279-1742.
Blood drive schedule subject to change. Please call the office at 704-633-3854 for updated information.