Man charged with child abuse
Published 12:00 am Thursday, June 2, 2011
SALISBURY — A Salisbury man was arrested Tuesday and charged with misdemeanor child abuse, accused of hitting a 6-year-old in the head with his hand, the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reported today.
Robert John Kountz, 43, of 750 E. View Road, Lot 15, was arrested and given a $1,500 secured bond.
According to the report, officers were called to Kountz’s home after the mother of the child, Renee Young, called Piedmont Behavioral Healthcare for help after Kountz hit the child.
The report said Kountz hit the child because he was upset after the child had pulled up molding in the bathroom, also threatening the child.
Officers reported a red mark was on the child’s upper forehead, and Rowan County Department of Social Services were also notified.
Other cases being investigated by the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office, reported over Memorial Day weekend:
• Tommy Kluttz of Kannapolis reported a building on Faith Road had been broken into and a Stihl chain saw and pole saw were taken, valued at $650 each.
• Jessica Morgan of China Grove reported someone broke into her home between May 21 and May 27, taking a safe, checks and a $1,200 Israeli semi-automatic pistol.
• Kristy Ridenhour of Long Branch Road reported someone broke into a home on Waccamaw Drive in Salisbury between May 5 and May 28, using a pry tool, taking two Members Only windbreakers, a leather coat, microwave oven, pot belly stove, tools, cleaning supplies and silverware.
• Richard Parker of Pine Ridge Road reported someone took a Husqvarna chainsaw from his property on May 28. The chain saw is valued at $350.
• Steve Elliott of Salisbury reported someone broke into a home on Elliott Drive between May 20 and May 26, taking an $800 generator, $200 metal pipe and two window air conditioning units valued at $200 each.
• Donna Campbell of Westhaven Way reported someone broke into her home between May 22 and May 23 and took a $1,170 42-inch LCD television.
• A counterfeit $100 bill was passed at the Wilco-Hess gas station at 985 Peeler Road May 27.
• James Patrick reported someone took several items from a building on Chippewah Woods Circle between May 29 and May 30.
Items taken included a Colt AR-15, Browning 300 Magnum, five other guns and his wallet containing credit cards. The total value of the property taken is around $5,010.
• Jesse Burgess of Sailboat Drive reported someone entered a home on Playground Lane between June 29, 2009, and May 29, 2011, taking $200 worth of aluminum.
• Mike Morgan reported $40,000 worth of equipment was taken from his land in the 1200 block of High Rock Road on May 30.
Items taken included a starter, drill bit, radiator, battery and hood, generator, lawn mowers and a $4,500 pedal hammer.