Humane Society Lights of Love Friday
In celebration of Be Kind to Animals Week, the Humane Society of Rowan County will present its annual Lights of Love display around the City Lake on Friday, May 6, from dusk until 9:30 p.m.
Luminaria may be placed in honor or in memory of people or animals for a donation of $3 per luminary by calling the Humane Society of Rowan County at 704-636-5700, option 9, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests must be called or emailed by 4 p.m. on Friday. Requests will also be accepted at the organization’s Night Out on the Town table in front of Cartucci’s on East Fisher Street and at the Lights of Love display.
HSRC volunteers will deliver pet food and other supplies including pet beds, towels and cleaning supplies to a collection site in Mooresville for delivery to tornado-devastated areas of Alabama.
Those wishing to contribute to this effort may bring items to the City Park Lake on Friday night for delivery.
The tornadoes that ripped through the Southeast in April are some of the worst in recent history. Many communities across six states have been devastated and many lives destroyed.
As a result of the April 27th tornadoes, the Greater Birmingham Humane Society (GBHS) has been tasked by the Emergency Management Agency to help with the relief efforts through services provided by the shelter.
In light of this recent tragedy, the Ryan Newman Foundation is dedicated to working closely with the GBHS and shelters across the Southeast affected by this disaster.
“It’s so sad to see the highlights on television and the devastation left behind, not only in Alabama, but across such a large area in the south,” said Ryan Newman Foundation President, Krissie Newman. “It brings me back to the sadness of Hurricane Katrina, but on some level this might be worse.
Items requested are:
• Dog food — small bags, and moist cases needed most.
• Cat food — small bags, and moist cases needed most.
• Crates of all sizes
• Water, dog beds and bowls, towels
• Cat litter
• Bleach, paper towels and other cleaning supplies
• Office supplies — copy paper and sharpie markers
• Latex gloves and gauze
• Horse feed — Bermuda grass
• Hand soap and dish soap
• Facial tissue
• Pet shampoo, regular formula, NOT flea formula
• Yellow professional mop buckets
In addition to the Rowan Humane Society’s collection , other designated drop-off locations have been set up:
Ryan Newman Motorsports, 165 Jennings Road, Statesville;
Hours for drop off: 9 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday. Someone will be on site to assist with donations.
• Humane Society of Iredell County, 110 Robinson Road, Mooresville. Phone: 704-663-3330. Hours for drop-off: 10 a.m.4 p.m., Monday-Friday. Someone will be on site to assist with donations.
• JTG Daugherty Racing and Michael Waltrip Racing, 20310 Chartwell Center Drive, Cornelius. Phone: 704-655-9550. Hours for drop-off: 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. A trailer will be located next to the race shop to drop off donations. Look for the sign. No on-site assistance. Donations accepted beginning Thursday.
On Monday, May 16, the Ryan Newman Foundation will deliver trucks loaded with donations to shelters across the south.