• 55°

By Karissa Minn
kminn@salisburypost.com
The parents of a Rowan County sailor killed in the October 2000 bombing of the USS Cole say they hope the refiling of charges against the alleged planner of the attack means someone will finally be held accountable.
Ronald Francis, the father of fallen sailor Lakeina Francis of Woodleaf, hesitated to react to the news Thursday. He said the charges have been dropped before and could be again.
After all, it took nearly 11 years just to get to this point.
“I’m going to wait until they have a court date to go to trial,” Ronald said. “Then, we’ll know that it’s for real.”
Military prosecutors refiled terrorism and murder charges Wednesday against Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the suspected coordinator of the USS Cole bombing. According to the Associated Press, it is the first case to move forward since President Barack Obama ordered military trials to resume at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
The attack claimed the lives of 17 U.S. sailors, including 19-year-old Lakeina, who would have turned 30 on June 7. It wounded another 40.
“I do, as a mother, want justice,” said Sandra, Lakeina’s mother. “I’m just glad somebody will be held accountable.”
Al-Nashiri was charged with the planning and preparation for the USS Cole attack that blew a hole in the warship. The charges were referred to the Convening Authority for Military Commissions, which presides over the war crimes tribunals at the U.S. base in Cuba.
Al-Nashiri previously faced charges in the bombing, but they were dropped in 2009 as the Obama administration revamped the military commission process. Legal proceedings at Guantanamo Bay, where he had been held since 2006, were suspended until March.
Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. announced in November 2009 that al-Nashiri, along with other detainees, would be tried by a military commission. But in August of last year, prosecution was stalled again.
Now that charges have been re-filed, prosecutors have requested the death penalty.
“For a person who does a crime of that magnitude, without a shadow of a doubt that he did it, then (the death penalty) is just,” Ronald said. “That’s the only thing we want — all the Cole family members want — is justice.”
Contact reporter Karissa Minn at 704-797-4222.

Comments

Comments closed.

Nation/World

‘Shocking and horrifying’: Israel destroys AP office in Gaza

Nation/World

Pipeline operator says “normal operations” have resumed

Local

Catawba holds baccalaureate services for Class of 2021

News

$9M settlement for two men wrongfully sent to death row

Nation/World

China lands spacecraft on Mars in latest advance for its space program

Business

Gas crunch hits Washington; Colonial Pipeline paid nearly $5 million in Bitcoin ransom

Coronavirus

State mostly returns to normal operations after 15 months of lockdowns, restrictions

Crime

Blotter: Man accused of stealing car, crashing it

Crime

Man faces new charge of attempted murder for father’s shooting

BREAKING NEWS

Gov. Cooper lifts indoor mask mandate for most situations, gathering limits

Crime

Barnes gets new punishment of two life sentences in Tutterow couple’s 1992 murder

High School

High school football: State’s top honor goes to Jalon Walker

Local

Scout’s Honor: With dedication of flag retirement box, Salem Fleming earns Eagle Scout rank

College

North Carolina king, queen of NCAA lacrosse tourneys

Education

Kannapolis seniors walk elementary schools

Local

Local real estate company employees come out in force to build Habitat house

Local

Quotes of the week

Coronavirus

Auditors find oversight lacking for $3 billion of state’s pandemic aid

Nation/World

When will gas situation return to normal?

Local

Rowan native Shuping posthumously receives Concord Police Department’s Medal of Valor, Purple Heart

News

GOP measure on penalties for rioting draws fire

News

Black high school softball player told to cut hair

Coronavirus

State shows 303 COVID-19 deaths in Rowan

Coronavirus

CDC: Fully vaccinated people can largely ditch masks indoors