Town crier 4-11-11
• Spring Clean-Up Week in Salisbury, April 10-16. Pick up trash bags at City Park, Civic Center, Miller Center or Hall Gym and pick up trash in parks and greenways. 704-216-2708 or email@example.com
• Salisbury Sculpture Show Discover What’s Outside, through December, 16 original sculptures by regional and national artists displayed around downtown and at Rowan Cabarrus Community College. Contact 704-638-5235 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• North Hills Christian School American Red Cross blood drive, Helen Kelley Smith Gymnasium, 2-6:30 p.m. Contact the school to schedule an appointment at 704-636-3005 ext. 400. Walk-ins welcome.
• Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education, 5 p.m., 110 S. Long Street, East Spencer,
• Rockwell Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 202 E. Main St., Rockwell.
• Kannapolis City Council, 6 p.m., Kannapolis Train Station, 201 S. Main St.
• Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 909, 7 p.m., Senior Center, 331 Corban Ave. SE (NC73 E), Concord. Awarding scholarships, election of board of directors. Contact Nelson Lee at 704-932-5544 or Bob Downer 704-782-6793.
• Scrabble Scramble, 5:30 p.m.,Holiday Inn Salisbury. Buffet dinner, three rounds of team Scrabble. $25 per person, $250 table of 10. Sponsored by Rowan County Literacy Council, 704-216-8266.
• 38th Annual Meeting of Historic Salisbury Foundation, 5:30 p.m., The Salisbury Station, 215 Depot St. Guest Speaker: John Larson, vice president, Division of Restoration, Old Salem.
• Faith Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 100 N. Main St., Faith.
• Salisbury Planning Board, 4 p.m., Council Chambers, City Hall, 217 S. Main St.
• Spencer Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Spencer Municupal Building, 600 S. Salisbury Ave., Spencer.
• St. Thomas Players presents “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” 7:30 p.m., Wednesday-Saturday, Looking Glass Artist Collective Theater, 405 N. Lee St.. Admission $10. For information call 704-647-0999 or email email@example.com.
• Rowan Rifles Camp, Sons of Confederate Veterans, 6:30 p.m., Rowan Public Library. Speaker, Michael C. Hardy, N.C. Historian of the Year. Public invited.
• Enviromingle mingling and networking event, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Old Cabarrus Bank Building, Kannapolis. Hosted by the Center for the Environment. RSVP www.CenterForTheEnvironment.org.
• Earth Night Out, downtown Salisbury, 5-9 p.m. A free, family-friendly event. Live music & entertainment around downtown, stores open late, environmental displays and activities.
• Salisbury Farmers Market opens, corner of South Main and Bank streets, 7 a.m.-noon. Fresh produce, plants, flowers, baked good, more. Special activities.
• Fit Community 10K, also featuring a shorter walking loop and a kids fun run, 8 a.m., City Park Shelter 1, Lake Drive. $25 pre-registration, $30 day of race registration. For more information call 704-638-5291!.
• Touch a Truck, 10 a.m.–1 p.m., First Bank/Wachovia/Salisbury Post parking lots in Downtown Salisbury; no charge. For more information call City Park Center at 704-638-5295.
• Children’s Saturday Workshop – Family SmARTs! Waterworks Visual Arts Center, 123 E. Liberty St., 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Learn about our planet while creating an “earthy” art project. Dress for mess! $25 fee per child, includes one adult. Contact 704-636-1882.
• VFW Post 3006 Spring Bazaar to benefit veterans, 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Crafts, food, items for sale. 1200 Brenner Ave., 704-636-2104.
• Project Reassurance Community Baby Shower, noon-1:30 p.m. at the Rowan County Public Library, 201 West Fisher St. Sponsored by the Lambda Epsilon Sigma Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority. www.projectreassurance.org/home
• Rolling Thunder Bike/Car Show and Poker Run, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Tilley Harley-Davidson, Statesville. To support POWs, MIAs and veterans. Poker Run entry fee, $20 single, $25 double. Show entry is $15.
• Litter Sweep in North Carolina, proclaimed by Gov. Beverly Perdue, April 16-30.
• Annual Easter Egg Hunt, Kennedy Hall American Legion Post 106, Hwy. 801, 2-4 p.m. Ages 12 and under. Pictures made with Easter Bunny. Prizes, refreshments.
SUNDAY, April 17
• Taste of New Orleans, 1-4 p.m., Park Avenue Community Center, to benefit Prevent Child Abuse Rowan. Mask, hat and poster contests. Vendors, silent auction, music. Parade at 1. Admission $5 for aduls, $2 for children 11-6. For more info, call 704-639-1700.
TUESDAY, April 19
• Rowan County Tea Party Patriots, Blue Bay Seafood Restaurant, Statesville Blvd., 6 p.m. dinner, program at 7. N.C. FairTax Group presentation on the foundation of the FairTax and comparison with the flat tax.
SATURDAY, April 23
• Spencer Arbor Day Celebration, 10 a.m.-noon, Eighth Street Ball Park. Entertainment, food, music and plant swap. Sponsored by Spencer Community Appearance Commission.
FRIDAY, April 29
• Sleeping Beauty PJ Party to benefit the Family Crisis Council of Rowan County, 6-11 p.m., High Rock Community Church, 708 W. Jake Alexander Blvd. $25. For more information, call 704-636-4718 ext. 1053.
SATURDAY, April 30
• Nathan Brown House 5K, Granite Quarry. www.active.com.