Neighbors tried to save baby
Published 12:00 am Friday, March 18, 2011
By Shelley Smith firstname.lastname@example.org
A 10-week-old boy died in a house fire this morning, and his parents are being treated for severe burns at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center.
The home at 310 E. Henderson St., East Spencer, was being rented by Joey Dolittle and his wife, Samantha, where they lived with their 3-year-old son, Zachary, and 10-week-old, Jacob, relative Elizabeth “Beth” McBryde said at the scene.
McBryde said Joey Dolittle came rushing through her front door around 5 a.m. this morning. “He was screaming that his house was on fire and his baby was in it, and he couldn’t get him out,” McBryde said.
McBryde said she called 911 and she, her husband, her son and several other people ran about 50 yards down the street to Dolittle’s home. “My son tried to go in, husband tried to go in, we tried to go through a window, we tried everything,” McBryde said. “We just couldn’t get in there.” McBryde said there is only one window in the bedroom of 10-week-old Jacob. McBryde said she and her husband threw a motor through the window, but still couldn’t get through. “It’s just a bad thing that happened,” she said.
McBryde said Joey and Samantha were badly burned, and their hair was singed, and sister-in-law Tammy Jo McBryde said Joey Dolittle’s face and feet were “melting.” Joey Dolittle had to be stabilized at Rowan Regional before he was flown to Winston-Salem. He and his wife were in good condition around noon today. Three-year-old Zachary, who was not injured, is staying with McBryde. “He doesn’t really understand what’s going on,” McBryde said.
The Dolittle’s had only lived at the home for three weeks. The family’s puppy, Socks, was also lost in the fire. Firefighters cleared the scene at 12 p.m. The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Read more in Saturday’s Salisbury Post.
Google Maps Street View of the home.
View Larger Map