Man burned in kitchen fire

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A man suffered first- and second-degree burns this afternoon as he was heating up grease in his kitchen. Responders said the grease flashed, creating a fire.
Brandon Shappell, of 417 Depot St., Rockwell, refused treatment by Rowan EMS, but will be taken to the doctor for the burns to his right hand and left arm.
Firefighters responded to the fire shortly before noon today. The fire spread to curtains above the stove, and part of the attic, Rockwell City Fire Chief Tim Linker said. Linker said Shappell tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, but was not successful.
Linker said the fire charred a kitchen cabinet, and firefighters had to rip part of the ceiling out of the home, but damage was minimal. The home also suffered smoke damage.
Shappell was the only person at the house when the fire started.
Rockwell City, Rockwell Rural, Faith and Granite Quarry fire departments responded, as well as Rowan EMS, the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office and Rockwell Police Department.