Area hoops update: Brown comes home
By Mike London
Area hoops update …
Shaw’s Shemieka Brown (North Rowan) had an opportunity to return home to play against Livingstone on Saturday night in a CIAA game.
She didn’t start, but she saw 17 minutes of action at Trent Gym. Brown hit two 3-pointers and scored nine points. She also was credited with three rebounds and two assists in Shaw’s 83-72 loss to the surging Blue Bears.
Recently, Brown shot 3-for-3 on 3-pointers as Shaw beat CIAA foe Lincoln.
Brown, a 5-foot-6 junior, is playing her first year at Shaw after being an all-conference performer at Wilkes Community College.
• De’Rya Wylie (Salisbury) is also in the CIAA.
Wylie played 21 minutes off the bench for Elizabeth City State in a 61-53 loss to Chowan on Saturday.
Wylie made her only field goal attempt and pulled down four rebounds.
• Bubbles Phifer (Salisbury) has been on fire lately for Tallahassee Community College and is likely on track for big things down the road.
The freshman drilled seven 3-pointers in 10 attempts and scored 25 points last Tuesday.
Phifer led TCC with 14 points on Saturday and has scored in double figures in five of her last six outings.
• Taylor May (South Rowan) played 11 minutes off the bench and contributed four points and three rebounds in Catawba’s 70-56 loss at Carson-Newman on Saturday.
• Voorhees forward Rashonda Mayfield (West Rowan) had an amazing game against Fisk last week, getting 15 of her 17 points on 5-for-5 shooting from behind the 3-point line.
Mayfield also had a 19-point effort against Tennessee Temple last week.
Voorhees, an NAIA school in South Carolina, is 19-4. Mayfield, the sister of West Rowan QB B.J. Sherrill, has been a big reason. She’s the leading scorer with 13.2 points a game.
• George Washington sophomore Shi-Heria Shipp (Salisbury) is sidelined with a knee injury.
• Shayla Fields (Salisbury) scored 19 points in her most recent outing in Iceland’s pro league.
Brevard’s Darius Moose (Carson) played well on Saturday even though Brevard suffered an ugly 90-66 home loss to Anderson.
Moose shot 3-for-4 from the floor and pulled down six rebounds in 19 minutes of action.
• Charlotte 49ers sophomore K.J. Sherrill’s breakout game on Saturday still has everyone buzzing.
Sherrill (West) recorded 24 points and 13 rebounds, both team highs, in a 91-86 double-overtime loss to La Salle.
It was the first college double-double for Sherrill and the first time he’s been the team leader in either statistical category.
Six of his boards came on the offensive end, and he went 14-for-18 from the four line. He also had two blocked shots.
• Donte Minter (West) had 12 points for his pro team in Holland on Saturday night, and teammate Junior Hairston (West) blocked three shots.