Firefighters save 100-year-old house
A quick response by firefighters kept a 100-year-old home in western Rowan County from burning down this morning.
The fire at the home of Dean Campbell, 4245 South River Church Road, was called in shortly after midnight. Campbell’s son and cousin were at home watching television when the fire started in a bedroom.
Rowan fire investigators Deborah Horne and Kevin Dennis investigated and found the fire started after the two failed to properly discard cigarettes.
Campbell was at work when the fire started. Campbell’s son told investigators he tried to put out the fire using buckets of water, then called 911.
Firefighters contained the blaze to one bedroom.
“The fire departments did a fantastic job,” Horne said. “A few more minutes and they would have lost the whole house, probably.”
Woodleaf, Scotch Irish, Rowan-Iredell and County Line fire departments responded.
Horne said Campbell was not sure if he has insurance. The Elizabeth Hanford Dole Chapter of the American Red Cross was helping the family with shelter and clothing.