Area sports briefs: Swim meet today; LC sweeps
From staff reports
The 14th annual Rowan County Swim Meet will be held this afternoon at Salisbury’s Hurley YMCA.
Warmups are at 3 p.m. The meet begins at 4 p.m and is expected to end around 6:30.
South Rowan’s boys will be seeking their ninth straight victory and 11th overall in the event.
East Rowan’s girls are also defending champions.
Admission is $5. Meet programs cost $2. Meet MVPs and other info should be available in Saturday’s edition of the Post.
• Middle school hoops
Corriher-Lipe’s boys beat West Rowan 44-37. Davonta Steele led the Yellow Jackets (8-6) with 13 points. Qwantarius Rhyne scored 12. Chandler Corriher had six, and Burke Fulcher added five.
Alexis Archie led second-place West (11-3) with 14 points. M.J. Rayner scored 13, while Celexus Long had five.
• Corriher-Lipe’s girls topped West 45-32. Avery Locklear scored 19 points for the second-place Yellow Jackets (12-2). Caroline Hubbard scored 12, and Cassidy Chipman had five.
Sierra Charles scored 14 points for the Bulldogs, and Hunter Gibbons scored 10.
• Erwin’s third-place girls got 31 points from Kaleigh Troutman, the highest scoring total for an Eagle in the last decade, and beat North Rowan 52-26.
Kelli Fisher nearly had a triple-double with 11 points, 11 rebounds and nine steals.
Fredejah Royer led fifth-place North (6-8) with 16 points.
• Erwin’s boys (12-2) lost to North Rowan 58-48 but finished in first place.
North’s Mavericks (9-5 stormed to a 20-0 lead behind Jareke Chambers and Preston Dalton, and Erwin couldn’t get closer than five after that. Chambers finished with 25 points, while Dalton scored 18.
Seth Wyrick paced the Eagles with 14 points and six rebounds. Jack Weisensel had 11 points and 13 boards.
The conference tournament starts today at Southeast. See Scoreboard for pairings.
• Livingstone sweeps
Livingstone’s men’s basketball team prevailed 72-63 at Chowan on Thursday night.
The Blue Bears (7-4, 3-2 CIAA) led by only four at halftime.
Darius Cox scored 20 points for Livingstone. Tyler Johnson (14) and Aaron Wilson (12) also scored in double figures.
Johnson had a team-high seven rebounds as the Bears held off the lowly Hawks (1-13, 0-6).
• Livingstone’s women’s team rode Brittany Wright’s 30 points and 12 rebounds to a 77-73 win at Chowan.
Cassaundra Rhodes (12 points), Montiya Harrison (11) and Jasmine Murray (10) also scored in double figures for Livingstone (9-3, 4-1).
• Church League hoops
Love Christian Center beat Sacred Heart White 44-36. William Brown led Love Christian with 10 points. Brian Bauk scored 16 for Sacred Heart.
Young Life edged St. John’s Lutheran 33-30. Jay Watkins scored seven points to lead a balanced Young Life attack. Greg Tonneson scored 10 for St. John’s, and Andrew Purcell scored nine.
• First Presbyterian knocked off First Baptist 43-35 behind 13 points by Chad Hoskins. Jon Hall scored 18 for First Baptist.