• 79°

Wood stove sparks blaze at Rockwell house

By Shelley Smith
ssmith@salisburypost.com
ROCKWELL — As Matthew Gelam was driving down Shuping Mill Road to see his cousin’s new dog, he didn’t expect to arrive and find the house on fire, and the Australian Shepherd, Jack, inside.
Gelam used a cement “Welcome” sign found outside the home and threw it through the glass front door.
“I couldn’t even get the door open and he (Jack) jumped through the glass,” Gelam said.
Owner of the home, Daniel Walter, 27, of 1865 Shuping Mill Road, had only had Jack for three days and his home for two years, when the fire struck.
Walter purchased the 1600-square-foot home only two years ago, and had just finished remodeling, adding new kitchen countertops, floors and paint.
He had filled his new home with new furniture, he said, and had only sat on one of the couches in the den about three times.
That couch was in the den between the garage and main part of the house, where the fire started in a wood stove, spreading to the ceiling, and causing the roof to partially collapse.
Most of the damage was to the den and the garage.
Walter said he will stay with a friend while repairs are made to his home.
Responding to the fire were Bostian Heights, South Salisbury, Rockwell Rural, Rockwell City, Mt. Mitchell, Rimer and China Grove fire departments. Landis Fire Department moved up to cover China Grove. Rowan Rescue also responded, as well as the Rowan County Fire Marshall’s Office.
Walter said he didn’t know what to think when he got the call that his house was on fire, but said he couldn’t stop thinking about Jack.
“I’m glad he’s alright,” he said.
He says he never thought a fire would strike his home.
“It’s just something that happens,” he said, “and you never think you’re going to get a call.
“It’ll all work out. The Lord always watches over.”



Comments

Comments closed.

Crime

Blotter: Accident in Food Lion only weekend shooting to produce injuries

Crime

Salisbury man charged with felony drug crimes

Crime

Second person charged in thefts from house near county line

Crime

Police use tear gas to end robbery stand off, arrest suspect

Local

Ask Us: When will Rowan Public Library’s West Branch open?

Nation/World

Prosecution case nears end in ex-cop’s trial in Floyd death

Nation/World

Officer accused of force in stop of Black Army officer fired

Crime

Blotter: Man charged with hitting man with car, fleeing while intoxicated

Local

‘Meet the need’: Rowan County Health Department looks to add to vaccination options

Local

Seaford is first woman in county hired for town manager position since the ’90s

Local

Colonial Spring Frolic makes a comeback to kick off museum’s year

Local

Concord City Council wants to name bridge for fallen officer, Rowan native

Education

RSS administration will recommend selling Faith Elementary property to charter school

Business

Inspired by advice from father-in-law, Angela Mills launches her own business in memory of him

Local

Rowan County Democrats re-elect leaders, pass resolutions

Local

Baseball: Memories come alive in Ferebee book

Local

During Child Abuse Prevention Month, professionals reflect on detecting abuse in a virtual world

Business

Biz Roundup: Small Business Center announces spring slate of workshop for business owners

Clubs

Kiwanis Pancake Festival starts Friday

Local

Rowan fire marshal seeks to clear up confusion, worry caused by solicitation letter

Education

Fun every day: Fifth anniversary for Yadkin Path Montessori School

Nation/World

Charles: Royal family ‘deeply grateful’ for support for Philip

News

North Carolina sites to resume J&J vaccines after CDC review

News

Cooper OKs bill offering K-12 students summer school option