Salisbury takes action due to weather
The city of Salisbury has implemented the Inclement Weather Action Plan due to snow and ice.
Service delivery updates include:
• Clearing of roads:
The city Street Division crews are working to clear roadways and public parking lots. Crews have been working around the clock to salt and scrape roadways.
• Solid waste and recycling collection:
Crews could not pick up garbage or recycling Monday. Collections resumed at noon today, with Monday and Tuesday routes collected first.
Residents should place garbage cans and recycling bins at the curb on their typical collection day and leave them out until waste and recycling are collected.
If necessary, garbage and recycling collection may occur Saturday and Sunday. Leave the collection bins at the curb over the weekend if garbage and recycling hasn’t been collected yet.
Salisbury Transit Service has not operated buses this week. Following an inspection of roadways, officials will decide tomorrow morning regarding transit services for Wednesday.
• Limb and leaf collection:
Due to weather conditions, residential limb and leaf collection is not under way.
City meeting cancelations and postponements include:
• Salisbury Planning Board meeting slated for today has been postponed until 4 p.m. Jan. 25.
• Salisbury Tourism and Cultural Development Commission meeting scheduled for today will be rescheduled. For more information, please contact Diana Moghrabi at 704-638-5240.
• Destination Development Subcommittee meeting of the Salisbury Tourism and Cultural Development Commission scheduled for today has been postponed until Feb. 8.
• Advisory Committee for Better Housing meeting scheduled for Monday has been rescheduled to 2 p.m. Thursday.
Officials ask residents not to call 911 unless there is an emergency posing an immediate threat to life, health or property.
For non-emergency Salisbury police calls, call 704-638-5333.
For non-emergency Salisbury Fire Department calls, call 704-638-5351.
Salisbury Police Chief Rory Collins reports vehicular accidents have been limited.
“I encourage citizens to limit travel as much as possible until road conditions improve,” Collins said. “If you must travel, please take your time and use extreme caution.”
For future inclement weather service delivery changes and meeting postponements, watch Access16 TV or visit www.salisburync.gov and click on the most current press release under the heading of NEWS.
Contact reporter Emily Ford at 704-797-4264.