Salisbury council to hear rezoning requests
By Emily Ford
Salisbury City Council will consider two rezoning requests at 4 p.m. Tuesday in City Hall.
Council will decide whether to rezone about 2.2 acres at the corner of Old Concord Road and Jake Alexander Boulevard to allow a 6,100-square-foot gas station and car wash, Sheetz Fueling Station and Car Wash.
Council also will consider establishing Light Industrial zoning on about 26.3 acres at 175 Circle M Drive, the former location of Rack Room Shoes.
Council will hold public hearings for both rezoning requests.
Also on Tuesday’s agenda, Council will:
• Consider a Land Development Ordinance text amendment regarding major auto repair in the Downtown Mixed Use District, including a public hearing.
• Consider adopting the Eastern Gateway Area plan and receive public comment.
• Receive a presentation from Laura Porter regarding the Youth Services Bureau and the Times Two Mentoring Program.
• Receive an update from Lou Manning regarding the IRS VITA site at Park Avenue Community Center and presentation of a recognition award to Marjorie Gordon for volunteer service.
• Recognize the Salisbury High School Football team for winning the North Carolina 2AA Championship and Salisbury High School for winning the Wachovia Cup for overall excellence in North Carolina high school athletics.
• Recognize the new president of Food Lion, Cathy Green Burns, and Food Lion for receiving the U.S. Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award.
• Receive highlights and goals presentations from the Greenway Committee, Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment.
• Go into closed session concerning a personnel matter.
Contact reporter Emily Ford at 704-797-4264.
OCKWELL — Joe Brais likes his new corner of the world. He knows most everybody who walks in the door... read more