Dept. of Transportation shares winter driving tips
With a forecast of a wintry mix for this weekend for much of the state, the N.C. Department of Transportation has sent these tips.
In the event of winter weather, motorists are asked to give snow plows and other NCDOT equipment plenty of room and to avoid unnecessary travel, both for their safety and to allow crews time to clear affected roadways.
If travel is absolutely necessary, motorists should use the following precautions:
– Clear windows and mirrors;
– Reduce speed and leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles;
– Bridges and overpasses accumulate ice first. Approach them with extreme caution and do not apply your brakes while on the bridge;
– If you begin to slide, take your foot off the gas and turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide. Do not apply the brakes as that will cause further loss of control of the car;
– Come to a complete stop or yield the right of way when approaching an intersection where traffic lights are out. Treat this scenario as a four-way stop; and
– If you have a cellular phone, take it with you. You can contact the Highway Patrol statewide by calling *HP (*47) or call the county emergency center by dialing 911.