• 32°

Overheated candles cause of fire on Bringle Ferry Road

Staff Writer

Fire caused by overheated candles damaged the kitchen of a home at 3460 Bringle Ferry Road around 12:50 p.m. Thursday.

The Union Fire Department responded quickly and knocked down the flames before they could reach into the attic of the yellow brick house, Interim Fire Marshal Chris Lyerly said.

The Union firefighters got help from Granite Quarry, Miller Ferry, Liberty and Salisbury firefighters, and the Red Cross assisted the three people renting the house.

Bonnie and Charles Johnson and Bonnie’s mother, Deanna Cherry, had rented the house after moving here from Texas, Lyerly said. The house belongs to Marshall Beck of Davie County.

Bonnie and Charles Johnson, who live on the top floor, were not home at the time of the fire. Cherry lives in the basement and was home at the time.

Three candles in jars were left on a stone cooking sheet on the kitchen stove upstairs. The stove burner had been turned on to melt the candles — for the aroma — without using an open flame, Lyerly said.

The candles overheated and ignited, which caused the stove top to ignite and catch the wooden cabinets above the stove on fire.

Deanna Cherry heard the beeping of a smoke detector and ran upstairs to find smoke and flames.

She tried unsuccessfully to put the fire out, but the flames spread to the kitchen curtains and Cherry called 911.

Cherry credited Union firefighters with a “good, quick attack” that stopped the fire and limited burn damage to the kitchen. There was “moderate smoke damage” to the house.

Some pet birds and a dog were inside the house, and “as far as I know, they all escaped,” Lyerly said.

Red Cross officials were helping family members while they arranged to have their clothes and the house cleaned, Lyerly said.

Comments

Comments closed.

News

Man killed by deputy recalled as storyteller, jokester

News

Rowan’s Sen. Ford backs ‘Election Integrity Act’ to move up absentee ballot deadlines

Business

Salisbury earns top 40 ranking on national list of best small cities to start a business

Crime

Supreme Court makes it easier to give minors convicted of murder a life sentence

Local

Quotes of the week

Local

Salisbury Human Relations Council offering online Racial Wealth Gap Simulation

News

Bill seeking permanent daylight saving clears NC House

News

Friends describe Elizabeth City man killed by deputy

Business

With second hobbit house now complete, Cherry Treesort looks toward future expansion

College

Catawba Sports: 2021 Hall of Fame class announced

Crime

Supreme Court makes it easier to sentence minors convicted of murder to life in prison

Local

Overton dedicates tree to longtime volunteer Leon Zimmerman

Coronavirus

First dose COVID-19 vaccinations up to 24% in Rowan County

Crime

Blotter: April 22

Crime

Lawsuit: Salisbury Police, Rowan Sheriff’s Office tore woman’s shoulder during traffic stop

Business

‘Believe me, they’ll be fresh’: Patterson Farm welcomes strawberry crop

Local

City appoints more members to boards, commissions, with 9 seats left to be filled

News

Virtual play groups the new norm at Smart Start

Local

City meets in closed session to consult with attorney on two ongoing litigation cases

Education

Summit takes art out of the classroom, into the student’s home

Education

Education briefs: Gene Haas Foundation donates $12,500 to RCCC

Business

County’s restaurant grant program dishes out funding to eight local eateries

High School

High school football: Yow out as South head coach

Education

Shoutouts