Grants available for assistance agencies
Applications for agencies providing emergency food and shelter are available beginning Tuesday, Jan. 2, at the Rowan County United Way office.
The local Emergency Food and Shelter Board is responsible for determining how the funds awarded to the community through the Stewart B. McKinney Homeless Assistance Act are to be distributed. Under the terms of the grant, programs are eligible as long as they:
* Are a nonprofit with a voluntary board or or an agency of the government;
* Have an accounting system or an approved fiscal agent;
* Have a Federal Employer Identification Number or be in the process of securing one;
* Conduct an independent annual audit;
* Practice non-discrimination;
* To the extent practicable, involve homeless individuals and families, through employment, volunteer programs, etc., in providing emergency food and shelter services.
Qualifying organizations may apply.
Applications, along with current guidelines, are available at the Rowan County United Way office on weekdays.
Completed applications are due at the United Way office by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 17.
For more information, call the United Way office at 704-633-1802.
By Jessie Burchette Salisbury Post A man who served 16 years on the Rowan County Board of Commissioners admits he... read more