Summer fun: Events in Village Park
The city of Kannapolis has several events scheduled throughout the summer. Admission to all events is free and open to the public.
The Ike’s Construction Summer Concert Series will begin Saturday, June 7. All concerts will begin at about 7 p.m. and will be held at the Village Park Amphitheatre. On the schedule includes:
– Saturday, June 7 ó Starship with Mickey Thomas, with fireworks after the show.
– Saturday, June 21 ó A1A: The Official Jimmy Buffet Tribute Band.
– Wednesday, July 2 ó The Charlotte Symphony, with fireworks after the show.
– Saturday, July 12 ó Superglide.
– Saturday, July 26 ó Too Much Sylvia.
– Friday and Saturday, Aug. 8-9 ó Beach Music Festival, featuring Jim Quick & Coastline on Friday and the Craig Woolard Band, Mark Roberts and the Breeze and the Fantastic Shakers on Saturday, with fireworks after the show.
Movies in the Park will be held at the Village Park Amphitheatre on the Time Warner Big Screen beginning at approximately 8:45 p.m. Movies are held outdoors and edited for family viewing.
Movies scheduled this year include:
– Friday, May 23 ó “The Bee Movie” (PG) with Radio Disney.
– Friday, June 13 ó “Transformers” (PG-13)
– Friday, June 27 ó “Open Season” (PG) with Radio Disney.
– Friday, July 18 ó “Evan Almighty” (PG)
– Friday, Aug. 1 ó “Hairspray” (PG) with Radio Disney.
– Friday, Aug. 15 ó “We Are Marshall” (PG)
Stories Under the Stars performances begin at 7 p.m. and are held at the Kannapolis Branch Library. Performances on tap for the rest of the summer include:
– Saturday, May 17 ó Grey Seal Puppets, performing “Salsa Cinderella.”
– Saturday, June 28 ó Criss Cross Mangosauce, an unique bilingual and educational mix of a live music performance.
– Saturday, July 19 ó Lloyd Arneach, new and old stories from the Native American Culture.
– Saturday, Aug. 16 ó The Great Fettuccini, a combination of juggling, magic and fun in a fast-paced show.
– Saturday, Sept. 20 ó Faye Stanley, participatory multi-cultural program with music, stories and games of many cultures.
Live arts performances are held at the Village Park Amphitheatre. For exact times, call 704-920-4343.
– Friday, May 16 ó Cooperative Christian Ministry’s Teen Concert, in conjunction with A.L. Brown High School’s Festival of the Arts.
– Saturday, June 14 ó Piedmont Dance Ballet, performing “Who Cares?”
– August (date to be announced) ó Christian Music Festival
– Wednesday, Sept. 3 ó U.S. Navy Band Concert performing “Country Current.”