State briefs: 5 Harnett accident victims identified

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 2, 2009

COATS (AP) ó North Carolina Highway Patrol troopers have identified the five people killed after their car was run over by a tanker truck in Harnett County.
The crash on North Carolina Highway 27 happened Friday night between Coats and Benson.
A Highway Patrol spokeswoman said Sunday a report listed the driver of the Honda Accord as 22-year-old Esteban Isidro of Raleigh. The others killed were 23-year-old Jorge Luis Gallardo of Raleigh, 25-year-old Germain Chavez of Angier, 17-year-old Ashley Martinez, and 15-year-old Norma Marie Martinez. The Martinez girls were sisters who lived in Angier.
Troopers said their car ran a stop sign and was run over by the oncoming truck. Both vehicles went into the oncoming lane and hit a station wagon.
Suspect sought in theater shooting
RALEIGH (AP) ó Raleigh police are looking for a man they say shot and killed a movie theater manager during a robbery.
Raleigh police spokesman Jim Sughrue said in a news release Saturday that detectives are looking for 40-year-old Anthony James Bimbo.
He is charged with murder in the death of 48-year-old Mark Douglas Buhaug.
Investigators say Bimbo is armed and dangerous.
Sughrue says 18-year-old Jason Anthony Zilinski and 19-year-old Ryan Michael Becker also have been charged with murder in connection with the shooting death Friday night.
Sughrue says both men are in custody.
Navy corpsman enshrined at Bragg
FORT BRAGG (AP) ó A Navy corpsman has been honored by having his name added to a memorial wall at the special operations medical center at Fort Bragg.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Charles “Luke” Milam was fatally wounded in combat in 2007 while with the 2nd Marine Special Operations Battalion in Afghanistan.
His name was added to the heroes’ wall Thursday at the Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center.
The citation said after Milam was wounded, he and his team continued moving toward the enemy positions. Milam killed several with machine gun fire until he fell from his wounds.
Sgt. 1st Class Charles Maxwell is an instructor at the school and said the memorial wall ensures that the names of medics won’t be forgotten.
Dead toddler’s parents arrested
HENDERSONVILLE (AP) ó The parents of a 15-month-old who suffered serious rat bites in 2006 have been arrested on a probation violation in North Carolina.
Henderson County authorities said Henry and Cathy Hollenbeck were taken into custody Thursday. Sheriff’s Office spokesman Capt. Charlie McDonald said the couple was found hiding in the home of Cathy Hollenbeck’s mother in East Flat Rock.
The couple was arrested in 2006 on child abuse charges. Their child, Shea, had been bitten about 100 times by a rat in their mobile home.
Shea was taken into custody by local social service workers. He died that December from complications to cerebral palsy.
Henry and Cathy Hollenbeck received 2 years and 18 months, respectively, of supervised probation. They received more time last year after missing several appointments.

Comments

Comments closed.