Spencer aldermen recognize winners of Community Appearance Awards
By Steve Huffman
SPENCER ó Members of the Spencer Board of Aldermen cruised through a short agenda in a near-record 40 minutes Tuesday night.
Typically, the board’s monthly meetings take at least twice that amount of time to complete.
One of the matters board members addressed Tuesday pertained to last week’s meeting of the Community Appearance Commission, where winners of the 2007 Community Appearance Awards were recognized.
Alderman Nick Bishop and Town Manager Larry Smith both praised members of the Community Appearance Commission for their efforts to select deserving recipients of the award.
Bishop noted that while much of what board members deal with on a monthly basis is negative, the efforts of commission members is proof that much is good in Spencer.
Carol Corriher is chairman of the Appearance Commission and Wendy Spry is vice chairman. Commission members are Eric Lentz, Jimmy McCollough, Ed Robinette, Sandra Shuping, Harold Thomas and Pam Whitley.
“The Community Appearance Commission has continued raising the bar on its positivity, dedication and exuberance each year,” Smith wrote in his monthly town manager’s report. “It’s easy to let the little negative things we deal with every day become the larger focus, so it bears merit to recognize this group of tireless members, some of which continue to branch out to other volunteer aspects of serving the town.”
Winners of the 2007 Community Appearance Commission Awards were:
– Tommy and Tonya Stoner of 301 Fourth St. The Stoners were also recognized as recipients of the Albert Stout Award, the “gold medal” selected from all those having been named Community Appearance Award winners.
– Marion Wethington, 112 Seventh St.
– Irvin and Alice Suber, 701 S. Spencer Ave.
– Harvey Pulliam, 505 Fifth St.
– Randall Naylor, 1309 S. Salisbury Ave.
– George and Judy Starkey, 409 17th St.
– Ashley and Tweena Myers, 701 Fifth St.
– Victor and Jean Jenrette, 704 Seventh St.
– Don and Denise Berg, 529 Steeplechase Trail.
– James and Deborah Boone, 410 S. Spencer Ave.
– Jon Palmer and Cara Reische, 310 S. Carolina Ave.
– Steve Huffman, 405 S. Iredell Ave.
– Safieh Meyrick Fisher, 805 Fifth St.
– Robert and Virginia Oswald, 410 Seventh St.
– John and Cindy Patterson, 412 Baldwin Ave.
– Kevin Britton, 421 N. Salisbury Ave.
In other matters handled at Tuesday’s meeting, board members:
– Approved the appointment of Sheelagh Donaldson to the Historic Preservation Commission.
– Approved the appointment of Tom Long to the Planning Board.
– Heard from Mark Jennings who invited board members and anyone else interested to attend a “town hall-style” meeting with Bill Graham, a Salisbury attorney who is a Republican candidate for governor.
The meeting, sponsored by Jennings and Melinda Everhart, will be held April 22 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Spencer Fire Department, 208 N. Salisbury Ave.- Heard that a mulch giveaway for town residents will be held Saturday morning at the department of public works at the end of Sowers Ferry Road.
Contact Steve Huffman at 704-797-4222 or email@example.com.