One apartment destroyed in Troxler Apartments fire

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Staff report

SPENCER — A fire damaged one apartment in a six-apartment building here Tuesday afternoon, but no injuries resulted from the blaze.

The fire was reported about 4:45 p.m. at Troxler Apartments on North Yadkin Avenue.

Spencer Fire Chief Jay Baker said the fire was an accident, caused by bedding that ignited after coming in contact with a baseboard heater.

He said the ceiling above the apartments doesn’t include fire breaks, so smoke circulated from one end of the building to the next. But Baker said damage was limited to the one apartment where the blaze was discovered.

He said the damage was caused by smoke, fire and heat.

Baker said the lone occupant of the apartment “lost everything but the clothes on his back.” Representatives of the Rowan County Chapter of the American Red Cross are helping the resident find temporary housing and providing him essentials.

Baker said the fire was under control within about 10 minutes of the firefighters’ arrival.

Comments

Comments closed.