J.W. Zimmerman House: Lisa and Chris Ragsdale
Dr. J. W. Zimmerman, a successful Salisbury dentist, had this two-story brick veneer and wood shingled home with entrance portico built for him in 1916. There are four rooms down ó a reception hall, dining room, living room and den ó and four bedrooms up. Note the original built-in bookcase colonnade between the reception hall and living room. Dr. Zimmerman lived here until his death in the 1940s. His widow Ollie remained in the home until her death in the 1960s. The Ragsdales purchased the home in 1999. They’ve worked tirelessly on the first floor to replace sagging ceilings, remove carpeting, repair deteriorated flooring, add bright colored paint and reconfigure the butler’s pantry as a breakfast nook. Note the heavily embossed wallpaper in the kitchen. On the second floor, they replaced a bedroom with a walk-in closet and a master bathroom. They also reconfigured the upstairs hall bathroom and replaced aging transom hardware. Many of the antiques descended in the family of Chris Ragsdale.