Highlights of U.S. Post Office Building
– Built in 1911 as U.S. Post Office at a cost of $150,000.
– Closed in 1975 after completion of new U.S. Post Office on East Innes Street.
– County purchased building and lot in 1979.
– In 1991, Newton Cohen, chairman of the Board of Commissioners, pushed for renovation of building to house county offices. The board hired Bill Burgin to do the renovation.
– July 1994, commissioners approve renovating the old Post Office.
– In 1995, commissioners agreed to add an extra $760,000 to the budget, putting the final cost for renovation at $2.6 million.
– The building opened as the County Administrative Offices Building in March 1996. The former federal courtroom was transformed into the commissioners’ meeting room. The holding cells were converted to offices for the commissioners and the U.S. Marshal’s office became the county manager’s office.