Fire destroys mobile home on Hannah Ferry Road

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 2, 2009

By Shavonne Potts
Salisbury Post
A mobile home on Hannah Ferry Road was completely destroyed Thursday afternoon after a fire consumed it within minutes.
When fire officials arrived at 544 Hannah Ferry Road, off Old Mocksville Road, the home was already 50 percent consumed in flames, said Assistant Fire Chief Chuck Wetmore of Ellis Cross Country Volunteer Fire Department.
Wetmore said the fire started after homeowner Eloise Locklear’s 9-year-old granddaughter, Kayla, tried to unplug something in a bedroom.
Locklear was in utter shock as she was led away from her home by Rowan EMS personnel.
“She wasn’t injured, but she was emotionally upset,” Wetmore said.
Neighbors tried to comfort Locklear and called her husband, Bobby, who works in Kannapolis.
Friend and neighbor Jennifer Hutto said the Locklears have lived in the mobile home for about 22 years.
Hutto heard screaming from the home and rushed outside to see what happened.
According to Hutto, Locklear’s granddaughter, Kayla, had plugged in a radio into a wall socket and then unplugged it when she saw smoke.
Ellis Cross Country, Franklin Volunteer Fire Department, Rowan Rescue Squad and Rowan EMS all responded to the scene. Volunteers with the Elizabeth Hanford Dole Chapter of the American Red Cross were also on hand to aid the family.
Contact Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253 or spotts@salisburypost.com.

Comments

Comments closed.