E.A. Goodman House: Luanne and Chip Short
E.A. Goodman, president of Goodman Lumber Co., built this two-story Colonial Revival home in 1936. The symmetrical design has side-facing gables. Three gabled dormers and an open porch to the north balance a sunroom to the south. The front door is framed with a portico and a pair of three Ionic columns, all later additions. Goodman and his family planned to live on the first floor and rent the second. That explains why the stairs to the second floor rise from a side entrance behind the living room wall. The home’s four fireplaces ó three upstairs and a stone fireplace in the basement ó are original to the home. The tour includes the first floor, the refinished basement, refinished rooms above the garage and a 2008 addition that includes a bank of built-in cabinets, an informal lounge and an additional bathroom. Note the original built-ins ó the cabinets in the breakfast nook and sunroom and the heat-circulating vents in the fireplaces. The Shorts have owned the home for 17 years.