Dr. Josephus Hall House: Historic Salisbury Foundation
This elegant residence was originally an 1820 two-story Federal style “double pile” frame house used by the girl’s department of Salisbury Academy. In double pile homes, the first and second floors each have four rooms of equal height. In 1859, before he moved here with his second wife, Mary Cowan Hall, and his two children, Dr. Hall (1805-1873) had the home extensively remodeled. Additions included a two-story front porch with cast iron oak leaf and acorn ornamental openwork, a gateway arch, and square-edged clapboard. The front windows were also lengthened. Circa 1890, the attic was enlarged with a high-hipped roof and dormers. Historic Salisbury Foundation purchased the home in 1972 from the Hall family, which had continuously occupied the residence for 113 years. The Hall descendants donated the period furniture to the foundation. A two-room detached kitchen, staffed before emancipation by enslaved persons, was renovated and opened to the public in 2006.