crime news: raid at springdale avenue home
By Jessie Burchette
A 25-year-old Kannapolis man with an extensive record of drug arrests and probation violations has been arrested again on multiple felony drug charges.
Kannapolis Police charged Tamin Rajan Benjamin, of 2894 Springdale Ave., with multiple offenses after a raid at his home. Springdale Avenue is off North Main Street near Landis.
Benjamin is also charged with resisting arrest and assault on a government official. According to information contained on warrants, Benjamin punched Sgt. C.R. Nesbitt in the head, although Nesbitt’s Kevlar helmet took the blow.
The assault occurred while police were serving a search warrant at the Springdale Avenue residence.
Police recovered approximately one kilogram of cocaine base, 28 grams of marijuana and two firearms ó a revolver and a semi-automatic assault pistol. One of the firearms was a Blue Taurus .357 Magnum.
Police also recovered $2,000 in cash and numerous items of drug paraphernalia. The estimated street value of the cocaine base is $100,000.
“This has been an ongoing investigation for our vice unit, and I want to commend our officers for a job well done,” Kannapolis Police Chief Woody Chavis said in a press release. “It is especially rewarding when we are able to remove drugs and weapons from our community.”
Benjamin has been charged with trafficking in cocaine, maintaining a dwelling to sell a controlled substance, possession of a firearm by a felon, possession of drug paraphernalia, assault on a governmental official and resisting arrest. He was placed in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $750,000 secured bond.
Cabarrus Sheriff’s records show Benjamin’s first arrest in Cabarrus County came in 2001 on charges of possession of drug paraphernalia.
The records show more than a dozen arrests since that time, including five counts of felony probation violation dating from 2004.
– Brian Jackson, 35, 125 Faggart Circle; failure to appear on charges of misdemeanor larceny and resisting a law enforcement officer (for allegedly giving an officer a false name); $500 bond; 1:55 a.m. March 11.
– Terros Brown, 43, 614 Harris St.; driving while impaired (.09 blood-alcohol level); 12:42 p.m. March 11.
– Steven Fellows, 38, 511 V-8 St.; possession of drug paraphernalia (allegedly a marijuana pipe); 1 a.m. March 11.
– Johnny Steele, 16, 604 Locust St.; breaking and entering, larceny, larceny of a motor vehicle; $3,000 bond; 11:40 p.m. March 13.
– Kit Kithcart, 37, 2016 Carolina Ave.; harassing phone calls; domestic criminal trespass; $500 bond; 11 a.m. March 13.
– Larry Carr, 37, 4821 Snow White Lane; worthless checks; 2:08 a.m. March 13.
– Antonio Collins, 37, 563 S. Little Texas Road; trespassing (allegedly on property rented by Nyshika Ledbetter, 28); 4:45 p.m. March 13.
– Adam Christy, 24, 561 Westwood Drive; attempted larceny, vandalism (for allegedly trying to cut the catalytic converter off a vehicle belonging to Jeanie Parker, 51); $500 bond; 5:19 p.m. March 13.
– Brian Scott, 18, 610 Pacific Court; drug violations, possession of drug paraphernalia; 3:04 p.m. March 14.
– Donnie Milam, 20, 4077 Mullis Road; possession of drug paraphernalia, shoplifting (for allegedly concealing items in his jacket at CVS Pharmacy No. 3529); $500 bond; 12:14 a.m. March 14.
– Harry Anderson, 60, 3661 Farm Lake Drive; driving while impaired, driving with revoked license; 5:14 a.m. March 14.
– Kenneth Williams, 27, 4818 Samuel Richard Road; aggravated assault of an officer, felony possession of cocaine, resisting arrest, driving with revoked license; $2,000 bond; 10 p.m. March 14.
– Christopher Thompson, 33, 3650 Ashton Glen Lane; driving while impaired; 10 p.m. March 14.
– Felix McConnell, 52, 510 Hyde St.; breaking and entering (for allegedly entering a building without the permission of Alan Richter, 50); $2,000 bond; 12:20 p.m. March 15.
– Roger Smith, 39, 2407 Earley Circle; simple physical assault; 9:30 p.m. March 14.
– Martin Reid, 29, 2276 Knowles St.; simple physical assault; 11:45 a.m. March 16.
– Hubert McCarn, 42, 645 McCarn St.; driving with revoked license, fictitious registration, larceny (for allegedly taking items from Food Lion), theft of motor fuel, failure to appear on charges of driving with revoked license and inspection violation; $8,000 bond; 10:30 a.m. March 16.
– Ricky Thompson, 48, streets of Kannapolis; trespassing (for allegedly returning to Rushco No. 6 after being told to stay away); $100 bond; 3:45 a.m. March 17.
– At 8:50 a.m. March 11, officers responded to a report of two students, ages 15 and 16, fighting in a hallway at an unidentified school.
– At 11:45 a.m. March 11, Mayo Caldwell, 59, reported vandals damaged the paint on Caldwell’s vehicle.
– At 11:09 p.m. March 11, Byron Smith, 50, and Susie Smith, 37, reported someone forced open their front door and stole property from their home.
– At 6:53 p.m. March 11, Nathan Beaver, 31, and Patrick Burris, 18, reported that two men, ages 19 and 18, took money from Beaver and Burris.
– At 8:56 a.m. March 12, Darvin Pethel, of Pethel’s Used Cars, reported two boys, both 16, took a scooter from the business parking lot.
– At 7:47 a.m. March 12, Building Tradition Inc. and Kannapolis Real Estate reported someone, using a bar, broke the padlock on a trailer at an unspecified location and stole items inside.
– At 10:45 a.m. March 12, officers responded to a report of two girls, ages 17 and 18, fighting in a class at A.L. Brown High School.
– At 3:13 p.m. March 12, Kannapolis City Properties Inc. reported a break-in at an unspecified location and the theft of wiring.
– At 9:30 a.m. March 12, Arlin Gulledge, 80, reported someone broke the back door of his home and stole furniture.
– At 6:16 p.m. March 12, Lisa Burris, 41, reported another woman, 41, continued to use her credit card after passing the card’s limit.
– At 8:50 p.m. March 12, Donnie Woodward, 49, reported the theft of his vehicle from his driveway at 501 Ford St.
– At 12:26 a.m. March 13, officers questioned a 24-year-old woman at an unspecified location about playing her car stereo so loud it violated the city noise ordinance.
– At 2:19 p.m. March 12, David Catchpole, 42, reported someone stole his motorcycle from his garage, which was unlocked.
– At 7:39 a.m. March 13, Shoe Show reported someone used a large rock to break the glass front door and then entered the business.
– At 10:02 a.m. March 13, Community Management Corp. reported someone forced open the front door, damaging the door frame.
– At 8:15 a.m. March 13, Lori Peterson, 42, reported that a 65-year-old man brought his dog on Peterson’s property and allowed the dog to maul another dog.
– At 10:05 p.m. March 13, officers investigated a report of a woman, 37, using a deceased person’s credit card.
– At 2:30 a.m. March 14, CVS Pharmacy No. 3529 reported a 20-year-old man concealing items in his jacket.
– At 7:45 a.m. March 14, The Trap reported someone entered through an upper window and left from the barber shop next door.
– At 9:40 a.m. March 14, Brittney Pless, 21, reported her vehicle was taken.
– At 2:40 p.m. March 14, A.L. Brown High School reported a computer stolen.
– At 1:47 p.m. March 14, Chasity Black, 21, reported a 22-year-old man punched her in the face during an argument.
– At 5:51 p.m. March 14, officers questioned a 43-year-old man at an unspecified location about having crack cocaine.
– At 4:14 p.m. March 14, Benjamin Graham reported he left a gun on the back bumper of his vehicle and then drove away.
– At 9:49 p.m. March 14, officers questioned a 27-year-old man at an unspecified location about having a schedule II controlled substance.
– At 9 a.m. March 14, officers questioned three men, one 17 and two of them 25, at an unspecified location about having marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
– At 9:15 p.m. March 14, Jacklyn Smith, 25, reported a 40-year-old man grabbed her by the throat and slapped her in the face.
– At 2:14 p.m. March 15, Jonathan Ruiz, 22, and Martin Hernandez, 41, reported they were assaulted by three men at an unspecified location.
– At 2:30 p.m. March 15, officers investigated a report of a 14-year-old climbing through an unlocked window and stealing a phone from an unidentified person.
– At 7 p.m. March 15, a person with a gun robbed La Placita No. 1.
– At 3:48 a.m. March 15, Jacqueline Mancilla, 35, reported a 24-year-old man grabbed her by the neck and threw her down.
– At 9:47 p.m. March 15, Ball Prism Christian Center reported vandals poured gasoline onto the concrete walkway near its door and lit the gasoline.
– At 8:25 p.m. March 15, officers investigated a suicide note a 36-year-old man left on the front door of a residence.
– At 5:12 a.m. March 15, Rushco No. 6 reported a 23-year-old woman hid candy in her purse.
– At 9:30 a.m. March 16, Billy Smith, 56, reported a 24-year-old man started a fire in a garage.
– At 6:45 p.m. March 16, Jason Joplin, 28, reported a 28-year-old woman used a credit car to open a door and stole items.
– At 10:52 p.m. March 16, Lacy Magbie reported she shot a dog with a shotgun in self defense.
– At 12:24 p.m. March 17, Brent Polk, 52, and Samuel McBridge, 29, reported a 31-year-old man sold their vehicle without the title or the owners’ permission.
– At 1:37 p.m. March 17, Karri Burrell, 25, reported someone took her vehicle from an unspecified location.
– At 1 p.m. March 17, Hilbish Ford reported a vehicle taken by fraud.
– At 5:45 a.m. March 18, Gopi Bhavesh Patel Inc. reported a 47-year-old man tried to cut a catalytic converter from a vehicle with a saw.
The Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arress and incidents in the past week:
– Enrique P. Vasquez, 30, 4830 Samuel Richard St., Kannapolis; failure to appear on charges of driving while impaired, driving with revoked license and reckless driving; $20,000 bond; March 13; Deputy Hale.
– Yolanda Monique Spence, 25, 524 Oak Creek Court, Kannapolis; show cause violation; $10,000 bond; March 14; Deputy Eudy.
– Bobby Ray Mobley, 61, 208 N. Harding St., Kannapolis; failure to pay child support; $3,639.96 bond; March 14; Deputy Lomax.
– Christine B. Sosko, 28, 1100 Northside St., Kannapolis; driving while impaired, no insurance, stop sign violation; written promise to appear in court; March 17; Sgt. Tierney.
– Daniel L. Jordan, 24, 4240 Mount Hope Church Road, Gold Hill; larceny, obtaining property by false pretense; $5,000 bond; March 13; Deputy Hale.
– Erica Brittney Goodman, 23, 1525 Deal Road, Mooresville; worthless check; March 11; Deputy McGraw.
– Brandon Albert Goyette, 26, 1228 Swith Road, Oakboro; possession of marijuna and drug paraphernalia, failure to appear on charges of driving while impaired and reckless driving; $2,000 bond; March 11; deputies Thomas, Christie.
– Jeremy Andrew Wilds, 26, 13213 Sterling Circle, Midland; misdemeanor possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, possession with intent to sell and deliver a schedule I controlled substance; $3,000 bond; March 11; deputies Measimer, Berg and Sastoque.
– Johnathan D. Blakney, 19, 6003 Meeting St., Concord; failure to appear on charge of possession of marijuana; $1,000 bond; March 12; Sgt. Tierney.
– Lawrence E. Arazie, 43, 510 Kirkwood Drive, Concord; failure to appear on charge of possession of a schedule II controlled substance; $2,000 bond; March 13; Deputy Hale.
– Quincy L. Love, 16, 96 Moss Drive, Concord; possession of a handgun by a minor; $200 bond; March 13; Deputy Hale.
– Michael J. Morrison, 17, 9900 Sibby St., Concord; possession of a handgun by a minor, discharging a firearm in the city; $200 bond; March 13, Deputy Hale.
– Emily Mary Bagen, 25, 231 Valhalla Drive, Harrisburg; failure to appear on charge of driving with revoked license; $500 bond; March 14; Deputy Measimer.
– Patty A. Gallagher, 45, 10211 Bethel Church Road, Midland; filing false police report; written promise to appear in court; March 13; Lt. James.
– David A. Mariano, 41, 4115 Peppertree Ave., Concord; worthless check; March 13; Deputy Roberts.
– Andrew McGarrett Almond, 36, 4630 Dana Court, Concord; failure to appear on charge of driving with revoked license and seat belt violation; $100 bond; March 14; Deputy Sastoque.- Sandra Faye Revles, 57, 5635 N. Tryon St., Lot 7, Charlotte; obtaining and attempting to obtain property by false pretense, misdemeanor possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia; $20,000 bond; March 14; Detective Burgess.
– Erina Marrietta Ray, 36, 3632 Joe Turner Drive, Charlotte; obtaining and attempting to obtain property by false pretense; $20,000 bond; March 14; Detective Burchett.
– Jabari Jawanza Courtney, 29, 11545 Retriever Way, Charlotte; failure to appear on charges of driving with revoked license and no insurance; $1,000 bond; March 14; Deputy Peck.- Jeffrey David Hahn, 52, 3069 Champion Lane, Concord; fugitive warrant from Texas; $20,000 bond; March 14; Detective Queen.
– Adolphus Robey Lowe Jr., 31, 341 Old North Church Road, Concord; driving while impaired; $655 bond; March 14; Deputy K.C. McClure.
– Jason Edward Debruyn, 31, 468 Mount Pleasant Road N., Mount Pleasant; failure to pay child support; $400 bond; March 14; Deputy Gue.
– Hector Hernandez Melo, 17, 1201 Sebastian Way, Concord; resisting an officer; $1,000 bond; March 14; Deputy K.C. McClure.
– Mathew Hudson Schadler, 19, 4100 Berryhill Court, Concord; underage drinking (citation); March 14; Deputy Christie.
– Jeremy Hugh Tidd, 19, 1750 Red Bird Circle, Concord; underage drinking (citation); March 14; Deputy Christie.
– Teresa Lynn Strede, 41, 2323 Hahn Road, Mount Pleasant; driving while impaired, driving with revoked license, speeding (67 mph in a 55-mph zone), driving with open container of alcohol; $1,000 bond; March 14; Deputy Thomas.
Additional charge: Unauthorized use of motor vehicle, March 1, Deputy Samples.
– Christopher Steven Furr, 19, 2991 Nellie Beaver Road, Mount Pleasant; driving while impaired with privisional license, stop sign violation; written promise to appear in court; March 14; Deputy Christie.
– Alisha Deeann Ladoe, 16, 4271 Kiser Woods Drive S.W., Concord; driving while impaired with privisional license, no operator’s license, expired registration; written promise to appear in court; March 14; Deputy Gilmore.
– Donna Lisenby Bradley, 38, 4356 Flowes Store Road, Concord; worthless checks (eight counts); March 16; Deputy Berg.
– Derrick Lavelle Leak, 40, 398 Schad Court, Concord; failure to pay child support; $1,167.39 bond; March 16; Deputy Gue.
– Heidi Doreen Marsden, 32, 950 Marshall Drive, Concord; obstructing an officer; $500 bond; March 16; Deputy K.C. McClure.
– Kenneth Lynn Cross, 36, 950 Marshall Drive, Concord; delaying an officer, possession of drug paraphernalia and failure to appear on charges of fictitious tag and no insurance; $2,000 bond; March 16; Deputy K.C. McClure.
– Sharod Roman Caldwell, 22, 365 Fox St., Concord; possession of cocaine and marijuana, resisting an officer; improperly attached registration plate, no operator’s license; $5,500 bond; March 17; Deputy Logan.
– Anna T. McLean, 26, 4463 St. Catherine Court, Concord; driving while impaired; written promise to appear in court; March 17; Deputy Blakely.
– John Willie Bradshaw, 51, 135 Fletcher, Concord; failure to pay child support; $922 bond; March 17; Deputy Roberts.
– Alberta Pascrell, 69, 2110 Mallard Green Place, Charlotte; driving while impaired (.15 blood-alcohol level); custody release; March 17; Deputy Adcock.
– On March 11, Holly Ann Fisher, 16, 2305 Carolina Ave., Kannapolis, reported her wallet and other items missing from her 2005 Chevy Malibu, was parked at the Cabarrus Department of Social Services. Deputy Griffin.
– On March 12, Mitchell L. Kiker, 36, of Pilot Gas Station, 2825 Lane St., Kannapolis, reported someone stole $14.99 in items from the store. Deputy Adcock.
– On March 13, Mark E. Jones, 40, 4681 Rainbow Drive, Kannapolis, reported a break-in to her home and the theft of $1,300 in items. Sgt. Tierney.
– On March 13, Vaudry E. Tucker, 66, 3918 Mullis Road, Kannapolis, reported the theft of a 1995 Chevy van and assorted food items, together valued at $8,000 and all belonging to Zion Freewill Baptist Church, 4077 Mullis Road. Sgt. Tierney.
– On March 11, Brenda F. Morrison, 52, 965 Sleepy Hollow Road, Midland, reported someone broke into her home, causing $30 damage to a door, and taking several types of medication. Deputies Thomas, Christie.
– On March 11, Jimmie Lee Bartley, 60, 429 Autumn Drive, Harrisburg, reported the tag on his 1997 Ford Ranger lost or stolen. Deputy P.D. Harris.
– On March 11, Elvin Delacy York, 85, 3010 Irish Potato Road, Kannapolis, reported a break-in and theft of prescription narcotics. Deputy Lafond.
– On March 11, Deputy Barringer responded to an alarm at Moose Pharmacy, 8374 Franklin St., Mount Pleasant, and found burglars had stolen an estimated $1,000 in drugs and caused an estimated $800 damage to the business.
– On March 11, Kathleen L. Robinson, 46, 311 E. Victor Hill Road, Duncan, reported someone broke a window in their 2005 Kia SUV while they were stopped at the southbound Interstate 85 rest stop. Damage estimated at $500. Deputy Lomax.
– On March 11, John Randolph Perry, 33, 13005 Plaza Road Extension, reports someone punctured the right rear tire of his 1990 Buick, causing $75 damage, while it was parked at his residence. Deputy M.D. Harless.
– On March 12, Sarah K. Thomas, 21, 3809 Carl Palmer Blvd., Harrisburg, reported a break-in to her 1997 Honda Accord and the theft of $300 in items between March 11 and 12. Deputy Edwards.
– On March 12, Rachel E. Pierce, 25, 5909 Laurenfield Drive, Charlotte, reported a break-in to her vehicle, causing $250 in damage, and the theft of $500 in items. Deputy N. Gue.
– On March 13, John B. Syner, 63, 4799 Flowes Store Road, Concord, reported the theft of his 1991 Toyota truck and tools, together valued at $4,600, from his home between March 12 and 13. Deputy Brown.
– On March 14, responding to burglar alarm at Harris Road Middle School, Deputy D.L. Logan discovered a damaged door at cafeteria loading dock and damaged file cabinet in cafeteria office. School official Susan Cline reported $175 had been taken. Estimated damage of $500.
– On March 14, Laura Odom, of Lowe’s Food, reported receiving a forged check for $200.69. Deputy Harless.
– On March 14, Gerald Roy Lince, 49, 4105 Old Glory Road, Concord, reported an attempted break-in and $30 in damage to a window screen and window. Deputy Elliott.
– On March 16, Deputy Sastoque responded to a juvenile reporting harassing phone calls.
– On March 16, Bill Coley, 69, 114 Valhalla Drive, Harrisburg, reported someone hit his split rail fence with a vehicle, causing $1,500 in damage, and drove away. Deputy M.D. Harless.
– On March 16, Harold Wayne Pless, 66, 2207 Dutch Road, Mount Pleasant, reported the theft of a $3,000 Honda all-terrain vehicle. Deputy Christie.
– On March 16, while responding to a report of a reckless driver on Simplicity Road, deputies Thomas and Christie found a vehicle previously reported stolen from Charlotte.
– On March 16, responding to a call about an abandoned vehicle, Deputy Thomas noticed signs of tampering and placed the vehicle in storage while the owner is found.
– On March 16, Phillip Bailey O’Daniel, 60, 262 Pokeberry Trail, Concord, reported a sofa dumped on his road. Deputy Lafond.
– On March 17, Mary Faith Strickland, 17, 8326 Camelot Drive, Harrisburg, reported a March 12 break-in to her 1999 Jeep Cherokee and the theft of $710 in items. Deputy Blakely.
– On March 17, Ron Bethea, 51, 4767 Heather Lane, Concord, reported an attempted break-in that caused $50 damage to his door. Deputy Schroeder.
– On March 17, Daniel J. Audley, 32, 8151 Chatham Oaks Drive, Concord, reported a break-in to her home between March 14 and 18 and the theft of $18,780 in property. Deputy Adcock.